I may have found my 'next' boat . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
I took the family to the Palm Beach Boat Show yesterday, just to have something to do. We walked through the show, some of the boats were on land, but many were in the water. Saw the usual suspects and a few new ones.

I made sure to stop by the Formula 'booth' they had a couple PC's and some CBR's (Cross-over Bowriders). The Admiral actually liked the CBR's, which was surprising. Many of the boats had outboards . . . more than half.

We continued on looking at other brands . . . then a boat caught my eye . . .

Cruisers 338 Sport Boat. :) :nod:

It is similar to the Formula's but the cabin space is bigger. Also about 25% less :greedy_dollars: than the Formulas. :thumb:

I had not really followed Cruisers Yachts much, but it seems that this boat was introduced in 2014 as the '328' and now is called the '338'. Not sure what the difference is, as the spec's are pretty much the same. The 338 has an outboard engine option, maybe the 328 did not :noidea:

Now to save up some $$$$ :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It seems that outboards are the "coming thing" even for larger boats. A few years ago I saw a 40 something footer cruiser with a pair of big Mercs O/B's under the deck where you would expect to a pair of I/O's. Short of raising the engine hatch or looking under her, you wouldn't know. Probably had a big fuel tank to feed the twins.

tpenfield

Staff member
I know . . . The Cruisers 338 had twin Merc Verado 350's. The space where the I/O's normally went was wide open storage space. The boat had 7 (seven) batteries :eek:

The Formula of similar size (330 CBR) had triple Merc 300's :eek: I think' I'd be happier with feeding the twin 350's :rolleyes:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I can't handle going to the boat shows any more. I would need to put in another 40 years of work to buy one. I don't think I'll be around at 105. But Dad's going to be 92 in a few weeks!! Who knows?

Gas went up 25 cents a freakin Liter today. That's $1.30 cents for about a quart here in Canuckville. Some bull about switching from Winter gas to Summer gas. Canadians will believe anything and do nothing about it. It would take a bit of the oiley stuff to power twin 350's. Wowza.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, the outboard models are new

PM sent.

tpenfield

Staff member
I can't handle going to the boat shows any more. I would need to put in another 40 years of work to buy one. I don't think I'll be around at 105. But Dad's going to be 92 in a few weeks!! Who knows?

Gas went up 25 cents a freakin Liter today. That's $1.30 cents for about a quart here in Canuckville. Some bull about switching from Winter gas to Summer gas. Canadians will believe anything and do nothing about it. It would take a bit of the oiley stuff to power twin 350's. Wowza.

Yes, the prices are a bit scary. An interesting thing to note on these models is the I/O twins have a 150 gallon tank and the OB twins have a 220 gallon tank :eek:

Scott Danforth Thanks for the PM. :thumb:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If that is a 30+ rig those are small gas tanks.
ya...I was going to say I have a 154 gallon capacity on my 22’ boat with little reserve when fishing offshore.

The canyons are 75-90 miles each way

tpenfield

Staff member
Not sure I'd go that distance without stopping for fuel. My furthest run is about 30-40 miles.

My current boat (33 footer w/ twins) has a 160 gallon tank, which is plenty. :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My current boat (33 footer w/ twins) has a 160 gallon tank, which is plenty. :)
As a day cruiser that’s plenty. Not so good for an offshore fishing.

In comparison, the 33 foot Grady Express carries 331 gallons of fuel.

tpenfield

Staff member
We tend to carry more beer than fuel :D . . . .

Just reading up on the Cruisers Sport Series, they acquired the Azure product line in 2012 to become the Cruisers Sport Series. I thought they looked familiar :) IIRC, Azure went OOB a few years earlier :noidea:

https://www.ibmadison.com/In-Busines...ort-boat-line/

Also, trying to determine the hull construction. I have found one article from 2014 that mentions "encapsulated wood stringers" for the 298 model. Not sure about the 328/338 series.

Last edited: