I'm in for it, what have I done

Imadodgeguy

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought an old drag boat with a Chrysler 440/auto hooked up to a v-drive. It will need a lot of work and to be honest, I'm not sure I'm up to all the wood work which is mostly top side. I'm in Utah, and wonder if anyone has seen or knows anything about this boat "72 Rat Rod". I'll try and attach a pic of it. I pick it up tomorrow!

Attachments

• photo309993.jpg
    photo309993.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
long before you need to worry about the v-drive, you will be pulling the motor/trans etc as part of the hull restoration.

that hull looks rough

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That looks like an awesome project, good luck with it. It will be a fun boat. :juggle:

Imadodgeguy

Seaman Apprentice
Scott you are right. The project needs to be assessed.

Any idea what hull I have?
Any advice? Besides-run!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Im not one to say run from a project.

as far as the hull, it could be a one-off custom.

what does the paperwork say it is.

since your boating in Utah, my guess is Lake Powell or Flaming George. you may want to ask a few of the locals at the marinas to see if you can get some info if the PO doesnt have any.

alldodge

Staff member
Projects like that always need to be done from love, because its going to cost a lot to restore. Don't think the V-drive will be an issue, most are still around and parts can be found, also folks which rebuild them. Would need to know what brand/model

briangcc

Commander
No clue but looks like the kind of project I'd drag home for my kids to run when they're older....and promptly be living in it when the admiral found out about my plans!

Good luck with it!!

Start a resto thread when you're ready as it sure looks fun!

ahicks

Captain
Modified transmissions (manual valve body) were used often back in the day, but usually in the bigger 20-22'+ day cruisers. On a boat that size you had better be hanging on to your hat when you hit it! On a boat, there's little need for the torque converter normally used in an auto, so they sold some that were gutted and locked up internally just for this purpose. Idea being they would hold additional tranny fluid for extra cooling as opposed to some type of direct drive adapter. There should be an aux. cooler installed in the system (similar to what might be used for a power steering pump) to assure the tranny fluid doesn't overheat.

Agree the V-drive will not be an issue. Parts not too hard to get.

Not a glass worker here by any shape of the imagination. I would gut that boat for it's hard to find expensive hardware and go find another hull not so needy when it comes to required glass work. Old hulls are frequently stripped of their parts and re-used on newer hulls.You see them around priced pretty reasonably!

Imadodgeguy

Seaman Apprentice
There's a nicer hull that comes with it, same speed boat 2 seater type, looks a little newer. It is gutted and looks like was a jet boat due to the big hole in the back. But if I were to swap parts from the v drive one, I'd need to find another v drive hull right? I'm no fabricator or glass master.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I'm no fabricator or glass master.

no one on this site was when they first come here.

you will need to assess your project, the needs and your abilities, and in many cases learn a new trick or two.

there is a bunch of info in the DIY stickies in the restoration forum.

fishrdan

Admiral
I'd assess that the engine and V-drive work, before tearing into the hull and rebuilding it. Rebuilding everything will be a money pit and usually people only do that when there's sentimental value tied to the boat. You may find a suitable hull in better shape, that everything could swap over to. I see them every once in a while (hull only, engine and drive missing) down here in Vegas or in Lake Havasu, along the Colorado River, Bullhead, Mohave Valley. Check craigslist.

FWIW, my buddy bought a boat that needed serious resto work, but the engine ran fine. He completely rebuild the boat, paint, interior, etc. After everything was rebuilt, he found the drive was puked. $2000 of drive rebuild work later, the boat was usable....

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
I remember almost dying a few times in a boat like that. Name was Manyana. It was half airplane half submarine. It would take flight at times above 90 and once it flat shut off about 90 the nose finally came out of the water just as the wake caught up and swamped us. Fortunately the bulk of the wake rushed over us and we were able to bail enough water before it turned ugly. great times. Make it run and test your love for it before restoring it. They are not for the meek at heart. That being said I’ve always loved going faster than a speeding bullet and not getting a ticket. I’ll come ride with you if no one else will.

Imadodgeguy

Seaman Apprentice
Lowly, don't want to make light of your experience but it's kinda funny. I've got it home now and it looks hard to get out of if you needed to in a hurry.

The resto is way out of my league so I'll be saving the 440 for myself and selling the rest.