FVP Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcraftobsession

Seaman Apprentice
I am in need of new batteries for my Starcraft. I was at Menards today and looked at what they carry. Anyone have any luck with FVP batteries. I'm looking at a starting battery and atleast one deep cycle. Also if I have a two battery system with the dual switch in the back will my motor charge both batteries as long as i have the switch turned to "A and B"? Thanks!

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not much help here, but i bought one from menards last week. Still to cold to get the boat out

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
There are 4 main manufacturers that actually manufacturer batteries (Johnson, Exide, CSB, Yuasa) that make pretty much every lead acid out there. Every other manufacturer is just a sticker on someone elses chunk of lead and plastic. Johnson and Exide are probably bigger players in the normal automotive sizes, and FVP looks like a Exide with a different sticker.

In any case, batteries are batteries. Type is more important than the sticker on the plastic.

And as far as charging... What type of motor? Need more info. Type of boat, how discharged, types of batteries, etc.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Whether or not the switch allows charging both batteries depends on how everything is wired. If battery "A" positive is wired to BAT "A" on the switch and Battery "B" positive is wired to BAT "B" on the siwtch, and COM has the POSITIVE battery cable to the starter wired to it, then YES -- both batteries will charge when the switch is set to A+B (or BOTH if that's how the switch is labeled). But remember, the engine can only deliver a certain amount oif current so when running, why not set the switch to the battery that needs the most help which is usually the trolling motor. At home or at the dock you should also have a dual output on-board charger that you can plug in. You need to make very long wide open throttle runs to even come close to topping off a deeply discharged trolling motor battery.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
You need to make very long wide open throttle runs to even come close to topping off a deeply discharged trolling motor battery.

Depends on the engine... Some I/O's can have 120 amp alternators.

Status
Not open for further replies.