Alumacraft Phantom V170 Motor Height

Matt_1

Recruit
Hi all, I just picked up a 1991 alumacraft phantom v170 and was wondering if any of you had experience on the best motor height for these boats. This isn't my first boat so I know that normally you want the cavitation plate about 1" above the hull. This motor (1991 mariner 115) is mounted about 1.5" below the hull as you can see in the picture and it does have a hydrofoil. I'm currently seeing a touch over 44mph on gps and was thinking if I raised motor I could get a little more speed. The only reason I can think of it being mounted so low is it is a very stern heavy boat (3 batteries and 20+ gallon tank) and it helps with the porpoising? Would love to hear anyone's thoughts or experiences.

Attachments

• photo309725.jpg
    photo309725.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Alumarine

Captain
Maybe it's the picture but it looks to me like the anti ventilation plate is about 1" above the hull bottom.

Matt_1

Recruit
Thanks for the responses! I apologize for not posting a better picture. I included a labeled picture of my motor and of a similar mercury LU that shows where the first lip above the intakes is the anti ventilation plate to which the hydrofoil is attached and then immediately above that is another lip for deflecting spray. On my motor the lip for deflecting spray is 1" above hull bottom, but the anti ventilation plate is about 1.5" below the hull

Attachments

• photo309749.jpg
    photo309749.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo309750.jpg
    photo309750.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

Alumarine

Captain
If it's easy to move up why not try it?
Or would it require modifying the transom?

Matt_1

Recruit
I could move it up relatively easily, but I just wanted to see if any other phantom owners or owners of similar boats would chime in to provide some insight on what worked best for them.