How many days can boat sit in sun w/o cover on?

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
The scenario is if the boat is on the side of my house and I have multiple things to do that will require the cover to be off, how long can I leave it off without the sun hurting the seats and interior?

I have several things to get done sch as on weekend and/or after work and I hoped when rain wasn't in the forecast, I could leave the cover off for a minimum of 2 days and perhaps up to a week at a time if it was safe to do this so the cover isn't an obstacle to my progress. I do not plan to do this in the hottest part of the summer, (but I'd be curious to know how long is safe depending on temperature).

This particular boat is a 2004 four winns and although the seats are in good shape, there is some slight browning on the bow seats from the previous owner obviously having it under intense sun (whether from lake trips or just leaving uncovered I do not know for sure). So I don't want the sun deck and other seats to suffer the same fate.

How long fellas? Perhaps I can also treat the seats with something to help?

harringtondav

Commander
You can leave it in the sun for a long time. But I'd first treat the seats with a marine vinyl and rubber protectant. No Armor all. It will darken light colored vinyl. I use Meguiars marine vinyl and rubber stuff. It's made for just this.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
One day in the sun (like a Sunday afternoon out with the family) and cover it when you get home and all will be well. Then, treat it at the end of the season.

One year out in the sun with brand new treated vinyl and the interior will be 100% non-salvageable.

The breakoff point is somewhere in the middle.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). I am ALWAYS working on the old girl. Nevertheless, the cover goes back on when I'm done, even if I'm back at it the next day. The cover takes 2 minutes on and off and no worries.

roffey

Commander
We had a small fishing boat with covered seats. It was in the sun, pulled up on a log when not at the dock. It was stored like that all summer and for 50 summers. The boat was just retired about two or three years back. I thought of redoing the seats but as it was fiberglass the juice was not worth the squeeze and we junked it.

My point being a week or three should be OK?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Its a cumulative affect. Upholstery in the sun has a finite life. Only you can say how long you want it to last. I will allow my boat to sit in the sun for a couple weeks at a time with the bimini up at the dock of my vacation home. Of course I have had to replace the back upholstery and the front needs to be replaced.

tpenfield

Staff member
I'd say there is no specific answer . . . I agree with the comments that it is a cumulative effect over the course of months/years and using a protectant can help in that regard.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, so it sounds like I should use a protectant (which I was planning on anyway), and I will cover when stored between outings, but if I am going to work on it for less than a week on & off (especially in April-May), then I can leave the cover off until the job is done even if it spans several days.

Next question, what about rain? When leaving the cover off, I plan to leave the bimini top up except if there is wind/storms in the forecast. So what if the cover is off and we get a good rain (whether bimini top up or not)? If the plug is out, is it okay for the boat to get rained in in an unplanned fashion from time to time? Or is that a big no-no?

The boat is covered when not in-use but I can imagine as it warms up I'll need to fix it and be using it so it is possible it could get sun & rain with no cover on occasion. Unless this forum tells me no. Before I had the cover (had boat for 2 months until I had a cover), I covered the seats with towels and used 5lb barbell plates to hold them down last Aug-Sept to minimize the UV exposure until I could get the cover on.

My new bass boat has the vinyl decking instead of carpet and I've hear that stuff can go yellow in a hurry in sun so I am not reckless with my boats, but These are my first real boats so I need to figure out what 80% of people do just like with any other hobby/equipment.

Thanks again fellas!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Cheap boat covers are cheap so if they need to be replaced every few years, so what.

Upholstery is expensive. The cover mitigates the damage. In my 50 years of boat ownership I've replaced many covers but never a single piece of upholstery.

Bimini tops are expensive as well, and they secure relatively little of what's underneath. Leave the bimini up and it will turn to crap in a hurry.

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I am only asking about a few days at a time...if I'm not working on it, I'll have it covered. I just didn't know if one full day of summer sun was enough to brown the seats or not? Sounds like I'd be fine to leave cover off say on a thursday evening and replace it by sunday afternoon; especially if treated. I need to treat the top too...any suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
I just didn't know if one full day of summer sun was enough to brown the seats or not?

Ayuh,...... Or Not,.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Sounds like I'd be fine to leave cover off say on a thursday evening and replace it by sunday afternoon; /QUOTE]

Obviously it's your choice. As has been stated, damage is cumulative. If I'm working on the boat, I don't do it 24 hours a day. When I retire for the evening I throw the cover back on. I mean, what does it take - 3 minutes?

Uncovered all night and the dew will set in.

But that's just me. The things that cost me 2 years salary I take exceptional care of. The junk I buy second hand I don't really care.

harringtondav

Commander
Next question, what about rain? When leaving the cover off, I plan to leave the bimini top up except if there is wind/storms in the forecast. So what if the cover is off and we get a good rain (whether bimini top up or not)? If the plug is out, is it okay for the boat to get rained in in an unplanned fashion from time to time? Or is that a big no-no?

I fear rain more than sun. It also has a cumulative effect. Structural rot is a result of water on the wrong side of the hull. I'd do what I could, tarps, etc. to keep it dry.