Is There a substitute for Git Rot ???

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I have a small section of vinyl covered wood that has bagan to rot and just started to crumble a bit.Anyone ever use anything other than Git Rot to solidify the rotted part??? Im not looking to spend $25 for the small amount i need and the rest will sit on my shelf till it goes bad. thanks Charlie

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
None that work. Only true fix is propper replacement of rotten wood

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
None that work. Only true fix is propper replacement of rotten wood

Thanks captain Obvious but not true.There are several "Git Rot like" products used in home restoration all the time ,they just come in larger quantities than I need.Charlie

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just pull the vinyl off, replace the wood and reattach the vinyl. Simple and easy.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
A previous boat had the start of a rotten transom, and had some stringers that were very soft. Drilled some holes, and injected a couple gallons of 2 part marine epoxy. Yes, that was absolutely the wrong way to fix it, but I used it for quite a few years after the 'fix' without issue!

(and before the safety crew comes out, this was on a glorified mud-puddle. If it sank, I would have just walked to shore.)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would like to see a picture of the part that needs to be "repaired".

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
JB Weld makes a similar product for $16 for the small can. Doesn't get much cheaper than that. Even $25 is little to pay to make the job easy.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hundreds of threads showing that git rot and other snake oils simply do not work

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Git-Rot is simply thickened epoxy. If you have some epoxy, simply thicken it with some filler. Hopefully the wood to be repaired is dry.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hundreds of threads showing that git rot and other snake oils simply do not work

And probably hundreds more that say they do.

The problem with many negative comments about all kinds of products is that the user didn't read and follow the directions correctly.

My last boat restoration involved a 3" section of the keel that was rotten right at the transom. Rather than replace the entire 15' long keel, or cut off and splice in a new section, when I had the hull flipped I used GitRot. That was my first ever experience with the product, and yes I threw away most of what was left of the package. Subsequently I painted the entire bottom.

That was 14 years ago and the repaired spot shows no signs of deterioration.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Like JimS I have used gitrot with very good results.I just didnt want to waste most of it since I need to do such a small piece.I will bet all who knock the product here have not actually used it.

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Charlie, probably not what you want to hear but if you have wood rot in one part of the floor there is wood rot elsewhere, best to open it up and do it the right way.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Im all good DeepC,its not the floor.Just a small piece of vinyl covered trim.Already used the Gitrot and it worked perfectly.I gave the rest of it to my aunt who has a wooden leg.....Lol you never know..

roffey

Commander
Im all good DeepC,its not the floor.Just a small piece of vinyl covered trim.Already used the Gitrot and it worked perfectly.I gave the rest of it to my aunt who has a wooden leg.....Lol you never know..

… your aunt had dry rot in her wooden leg.... I think this is one of those times its best to hold back any comment from me.