A Canadian in US Moorage

makesure

Cadet
Hi,

I've done some searching on this and I am more confused now then when I started. I really hope someone here has some insight to help me out.

I live in close proximity to the US border (Greater Vancouver area) and I'm wanting to upgrade to a cruiser (28-35' range).
I've done some checking and I can get moorage just across the border for a much better deal than I can in Vancouver.
As well, I've been told that if I buy a boat in Washington and moor it in one of the northern towns (Blaine, Point Roberts, etc) that I won't have to pay any Washington tax (and certainly not 12.5% PST/GST). This all sounds like a great deal and a smart idea.

My question is, if I did this, how difficult is it to cruise into Canada? Essentially, we'd be all Canadians on board driving a Washington documented boat going back and forth from Washington to BC. My research so far says that I'm fine buying and mooring in the states but that I must declare the boat as soon as I cross the border with it.

Has anyone else done this?

Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Why not ask the Canadian border people?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Our experience is with NY and Ontario, so you would need to contact both jurisdictions in your area.

In our case we are Americans and travel to Canada in a NY boat. If we land on Canadian soil or anchor in Canadian waters or "drift" in Canadian waters we need to contact Canada Customs on the way over and US Customs on the way back. The only time that doesn't apply is if we travel thru Canadian waters heading toward a US port.

mr 88

Commander
^^ From what I was told about last years change of requirments " we " USA citizens are allowed to drift - fish- swim -etc in Canadian waters with out calling in. You are correct about landing or anchoring in Canadian waters and being required to call in.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
^^ From what I was told about last years change of requirments " we " USA citizens are allowed to drift - fish- swim -etc in Canadian waters with out calling in. You are correct about landing or anchoring in Canadian waters and being required to call in.

Yes, last year there was a slight relaxing of the "requirements". We (used to) go there all the time so this is nothing new.

The year before, they supposedly tightened the rules and we heard of several people that got gigged real bad. The Canadians don't fool around. They confiscate your boat as contraband and auction it off. You DO get first bid, but it will cost you.

So, last year, supposedly, all were happy and they relaxed. We DID anchor and we DID call in and we surely (God forbid) did NOT have any beer on board. We all had passports. When we called in we heard confusion on the other end, and when we returned the US people were not informed we had left. So, we said sorry, all is OK. No one caught up to us later and we're still alive so I guess we fell thru the cracks.

We don't go there any more. If we travel thru we do it quickly and don't linger. Now we spend all our money in the USA.