1958 Glastron SeaFlite Info/Help?

Gearheadmike

Cadet
I picked up a boat today was told it was a 58 Glastron and i believe that's right. This is the SeaFlite model.
The trailer i don't believe it original but i can't complain as i got the trailer and boat for free! I'm into classic car's and always liked the finned era's. So when i seen this i had to have it. It's missing engine and top. I got the windshield at least.
Does anyone know if these have id tag or anything like that?
Dirty from the journey home lol.

Attachments

• photo309454.jpg
    photo309454.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 4
  • photo309455.jpg
    photo309455.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3
  • photo309456.jpg
    photo309456.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 5

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Look on the glastron owners sites. There’s one on face book that’s good.

southkogs

Staff member
Generally boats in that era had a serial number at the most. You can find the manufacturer plaque card somewhere usually near the helm, or splashwell - but they're not always still on the boat. The serial numbers may not give much information though - they're not a Hull ID number. So, you may ultimately have to guess a little on some of the details.

Cool boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
My main thing is finding how to get paper work for it. I'll need some type of id

Is the aluminum transom trim cap still on the boat? Doesnt appear to be in the pix of the transom.

Its C shaped, and covers the top edge of the plywood/fiberglass transom joint. Thats the inly place I know of that

Thats where my 1960 Glastron Fireflight has a # stamped, just to port from the outboard. Its simply a Serial # thats not a 12digit HIN, and most states wont accept it for use on paperwork.

Depending on where its been since 1958, yours may still only have a Ser# (but only on that piece of C shaped trim) or might have a state issued HIN.

What paperwork came w it when you bought it? None based on info you've posted....

What state did you buy it from, and what state are you trying to get paperwork for?

There are options to get it legal, esp since its under 18ft, but lets start w the questions I asked above...

Gearheadmike

Cadet
Thank's jbcurt00 for that info! That piece was almost thrown out by the guy i got it from! But i told him to just leave it in there. Found the 6 digit # 458363.

The boat was in Vermont and on Facebook market place for free o i hurried up and went to go get it. I'm across the lake in NY. I got a bill of sale from the guy and the saved message of me going to get it.
The VT sticker on the boat said it ran out in 1988 by the look's of it i'm sure that's the last time it seen water.
I know NY doesn't require title for anything newer then 1973.

Attachments

• photo309523.jpg
    photo309523.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo309524.jpg
    photo309524.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
If they #'d the 1958s similar to my 1960, you have hull # 363, built in April (4 in your #) of 1958 (58 in your #).

Mine's M160102

Production volume probably went up by 1960, so theres an M1 at the start of mine, debated as to a May (the M) 1960 or Jan (the 1) production date, but it was # 102 made that month.....

For some reason I also think by 1960 they had more then 1 plant, so the M or the 1 in mine might be a plant designator. But I cant remember why I think that.....

Did lots of digging when I got it, and for several years after. Since then, dug info online for countless #s of boats, both mine and other peoples on multiple forums, so I may have Glastron confused w another make...