New Battery Recommendations

gotzoom05

Cadet
Hi All,

Like the title says, I am looking to replace an older WalMart battery and need some recommendations.

I have a 185BR with a 3.0 Mercury. I have always had a deep cycle being used for starting as well as running a depth finder and stereo (both running and shut off)

Should I keep using a deep cycle or change over to a starting battery?

Pros and cons?

Thanks!

gotzoom05

Cadet
Hi All,

Like the title says, I am looking to replace an older WalMart battery and need some recommendations.

I have a 185BR with a 3.0 Mercury. I have always had a deep cycle being used for starting as well as running a depth finder and stereo (while motor both running or shut off).

Should I keep using a deep cycle or change over to a starting battery?

Pros and cons?

Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A starting battery doesn't allow many recharges from low power, before failing. A deep cycle battery recharges from near dead many times. w/o damage.

A depth finder uses very little electricity. A low power stereo also uses little juice. If you have these, a starting battery is the better choice. Most boats fall into this category.

If you have a trolling motor, use lights for hours or have a high power stereo, a deep cycle battery is likely a better choice.

There are combo deep cycle and starting batteries avail.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Starting battery is fine for that use. Mine have typically last 6-8 years for same use.

harringtondav

Commander
Deep cycle marine batteries are a must for trolling motors, house (big boat) refrigerators and rafting stereos where the battery will be drained to it's knees. These boats normally have cranking batteries for the engine. A good CCA cranking battery has always worked fine for me in my runabout. I have an Advance Auto 800 CCA Marine battery, group 24 which provides high voltage terminals plus aux power threaded terminals.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I've used exclusively deep cycles in my last couple of boats. They have no problem starting a marine engine, and seem to last longer than a normal battery in boat duty.

Alumarine

Captain
I've noticed some marine batteries are rated as DP dual purpose Deep Cycle/Starting.
Does anyone know if that is just marketing or would there be a benefit?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
You want a Marine battery for your boat. I’ve used only marine batteries for my boats for 20 ++ years and all have served me well. The following is a short but informative write up comparing starting starting batteries and marine batteries. Marine batteries and car batteries share some common features but have major differences in design and discharge. This means that if you need a marine battery, you’ll get far better results by purchasing a specific marine battery than by using a battery designed for a car.

Cranking batteries vs. Dual purpose batteries

Marine and car batteries have several major differences. The first, and biggest, is the purpose of each battery.

Car batteries are designed to do one thing: start a car’s engine. Once the car is switched on and the engine is running, the battery does very little. The engine powers the car’s electrical systems and, at the same time, recharges the battery to make up for the power used to start the car.

In simple terms, a car battery is a “starting battery” or “cranking battery.” Its job is to provide the necessary power to start the car’s engine. Once that’s done, it’s job is over.

Marine batteries, on the other hand, are designed to both starts an engine and provide energy for other devices aboard the boat. This means that a marine battery needs to provide the short jolt of energy required to start an engine and provide a gradual supply of energy for appliances.

If the battery delivered an engine-starting jolt of energy to an onboard hi-fi system or television, it wouldn’t be of much value. In fact, there’s a serious risk that it could damage the appliances on board the boat.

This means that a marine battery needs to be able to crank an engine (like a cranking or starting battery) and provide energy in a deep cycle that draws a smaller amount of energy over a longer period.

In short, it needs to do two things at once. This is why most marine batteries are “dual purpose” batteries — since they can deliver both a large amount of energy to crank an engine and start it up and deliver a consistent supply of energy for electrical devices and appliances.

To illustrate these differences, battery manufacturers use units like “cold cranking amps” (CCA) to show the maximum discharge current of an automotive or marine battery. Batteries with lots of cold cranking amps are more powerful, and more likely to be able to start a large engine.

Dual purpose batteries, which are more common in the marine battery world, are rated both for cold cranking amps and in units like amp hours (Ah), which measure the amount of current that discharges from the battery over 20 hours to bring it to 10.5 volts at a temperature of 80°F.

Another common unit used exclusively for marine batteries is “marine cranking amps,” which measures a battery’s maximum discharge at a temperature of 32°F. Marine battery and car battery design differences

Marine batteries and car batteries not only deliver power in different ways — they’re also made to different standards. Since car batteries don’t need to discharge energy after starting the car’s engine, they typically have thin internal plates.

For a marine battery, which needs to provide constant energy for the boat’s electronic systems, the internal plates tend to be thicker. The housing of the battery, usually made from plastic, also has a thicker design to better insulate the battery against vibration and impact.

Since boats typically go on rougher journeys than cars (the ocean is, after all, far bumpier than the highway) this thicker plastic housing allows the battery to have a longer functional lifespan, preventing it from needing to be frequently replaced. Always use a marine battery for your boat

Purchasing a car battery can seem like a great way to save money — after all, car batteries tend to be much cheaper than marine batteries. However, there’s a serious chance that you’ll end up spending more than you expected to when the battery doesn’t work as you expected it to.

Marine batteries are designed specifically to meet the needs of a modern boat. They’re stronger, heavier and more suited to the unique needs of a boat with an inboard or outboard motor. Take good care of them, and they’ll last for several years of continuous use.
In closing, there’s no “do-everything battery.” As tempting as it might be to “save money” with a car battery, the only option you should ever consider for your boat is a dedicated marine battery.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
I've noticed some marine batteries are rated as DP dual purpose Deep Cycle/Starting.
Does anyone know if that is just marketing or would there be a benefit?

They are just a marketing gimmick, for the most part, and are closer to starting batteries than they are to a true deep cycle. Don't run it down to 50% depth of charge very often or it will fail early. That said, you would not want to do that to a true deep cycle battery either...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Let me summarize Sprig's excellent writeup.

If you drive a car like everybody else (on smooth roads every day), you need a car battery. If you have a boat like everybody else (only once a week and you pound the sucker all afternoon in rough water), you need a marine battery.

Sine it will be used to start the engine you need a cranking battery. Since you'll let it lay idle most of the time and won't take care of it, you need a deep cycle.

Bottom line - dual purpose are the best of both worlds...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Sine it will be used to start the engine you need a cranking battery.

The Ford 7.5l in my RV and various 4.3l's in my boats all disagree with that statement. No, you don't need a starting battery to start an engine. If you have one that needs lots of cranking, then yes, you might need a starting battery, or a tuneup. (Or if you start your boat at -40)

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
No, you don't need a starting battery.......................yes, you might need a starting battery,

So, is it yes or no?

Every boat, car or whatever requires a certain CCA. Its right in the specs. for the product. So, if your battery meets the manufacturer's requirement, then you're good to go.

croz

Cadet
No matter which you choose the less % of draw down the longer it will last. in the solar world draw down %20 then recharge for longest life.