first boat

golf4life49

Recruit
My wife and I are looking at purchasing our first power boat (I grew up with sails), and we have narrowed it down to three, but in reading reviews (until I was blue in the face), the three we are looking at are pretty comparable, and I'm looking for some advice. I know that maintenance history is a factor and before I purchase, I will have a survey done, but am not nearly as familiar with I/O, as I am with sails. Based on the pictures, all three boats look to have been well taken care of. Very little if any wear to the interiors.

2003 Chaparral Sunesta 222, with 473 hours, on a 260hp MerCruiser -- 20k

2005 Sea Ray 200 Sport with 218 hours on a 220hp MerCruiser -- 17k

2007 Four Winns 200 Horizon with 413 hours on a 270hp Volvo Penta -- 22k

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

first, unless the boat is new or only a few years old, reviews no longer mean anything. for boats in the 12-15 year age that you are looking at, it all comes down to condition. what condition is the boat in, how was the maintenance done,etc.

as you are looking at a boat, here are some tips from the sticky https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gen...eeding-help-buying-a-boat-a-buyer-s-checklist

also, the boats you are looking at buying appear to be high priced considering their age. not sure where you are geographically located, however many time traveling a few hundred miles will save you many thousands of dollars.

the boats you are looking at buying are also nearing the end of their design life. so while they may have little wear, components will start to need to be replaced. https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...52-perspective-of-fiberglass-boat-design-life

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats. . . .

I/O's do look much different than sails :)

Condition is king, as mentioned. Shopping for used boats is like a balancing act of imperfections. However, most folks buy used boats, so not to fear.

Brand names don't mean all that much after 10 years. Pick the boat that you like and then let the survey guide the way.

If I were to pick one of the three, it would be the Chaparral.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
at the very least check the bellows for cracks in the rubber, and a spotless bilge says a lot, if she's on the trailer and still dripping out the drain after a week of drought, that could be a bad sign, and rot above deck is not to good, also look very closely at motor mounts, and I/Os don't seem to crack transoms like outboards do but I would look very closely for cracks anyway, also look for corrosion or severely worn anodes- that could indicate a lack of maintenance, inside of oil cap will have sludge if excessive moisture is in the oil, but if all looks good take it for a good test ride, can't think of anything else but i'm sure theres more to check, as said above , all the boats mentioned in this thread are good if in good condition, let us know what you turn up

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Post pictures... There are lots of guys here who buy/sell tons of boats, and I'm betting someone will spot something that might stand out, either positive or negative. (and we all like to look at pics of boats!)

I won't repeat what everyone else said, but you can pretty much cover up the name/model of the boat. Doesn't matter one bit. Condition, condition, condition. Equal condition, the Chap for no more than $17k would be my pick.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
All 3 were good boats when new, but its how they look now that counts.

Personally, I have my own likes and dislikes, so my opinions are not important to you.

Nevertheless, the Volvo would be a non-starter, and the layout of the Chap would limit its usablity. The Searay looks pretty classy, but at 14 years old it would have to pass a rigorous inspection.