Sold our Starcraft and it was Bittersweet

Tnstratofam

Commander
I've heard the 2 best days in any boat owners life are the day you purchase the boat and the day you sell it. Well for us that didn't really hold true. Our Starcraft wasn't our first boat, but it was the first one we purchased with a clear goal in mind. We bought it knowing it had issues with the motor and the transom, however we also knew it would be cheaper to repair and get back on the water with than the Stratos ski boat we had which was rotten to the core and had an outdated drive.

We bought the Starcraft in October of 2013 and I rebuilt the transom and replaced the lower unit on the Chrysler engine in the spring of 2014. We proceeded to use her a lot until spring of 2018 when we bought our Stratos 278FS.Since then she has been covered and parked next to my shop with the occasional pulling out to the front yard to put a for sale sign on her. I listed her on Craigslist and got a lot of low ball offers and tire kickers, but no one seemed interested in our little aluminum boat.

Fast forward to this spring where once again I listed her for sale on Craigslist with a lowered price and the thought in mind that if she didn't sell I would just keep her. We had a few people come and look at her over the last few weeks and a week ago this nice retired couple came on Sunday afternoon and checked her out. I went over the boat from stem to stern showing all the little things I had done and still needed to do. I went over the engine and trailer showing condition and answered all the questions as best I could. The couple was very happy with the condition, and the attention to detail I gave when going over the boat.

When they left I figured I had another pair of tire kickers whom I would never here from again. Instead they called me Monday and said they would take our little Starcraft. So Friday I said my goodbyes and watched her head down the road to her new home.

We've made lots of great memories with her and she is going to a good home.It was Bittersweet

Some of my favorite pics of us enjoying our little Starcraft.

When we picked her up in 2013

IMG_0185.JPG ..

Heading out to the lake 2014.

IMG_0054_2.JPG

Making wake with that awesome Dorm Fridge Power.

IMG_0790.JPG

A little Fishing with the family.

IMG_0082_2.JPG

Me and the Admiral enjoying a day on the water.

IMG_0841.JPG

She's heading to her new home 2019.

20190315_110948.jpg

20190315_111553.jpg

I don't know if this means I have to turn in my Starmada card, but I'm still a Starcraft guy at heart and we're going to miss her a bunch.

Now if the rain will let up enough this summer maybe we can start making some more great memories with our new to us Stratos.

southkogs

Staff member
Bittersweet when you've made those memories in 'em.

... and I'm with ya' on the rain. :rain:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The "2 best days" theory may apply to most people, but only to those whose boat ownership is a passing fad. To a real "Boatman", selling a boat is like selling your firstborn.

In my 51 years of boat ownership I have regretted selling each one. Prior to that, when Grandpa sold his boat I was simply devastated. There was a 7 year hiatus between the 2 periods where I saved money to buy one of my own.

We sold our family boat last summer, after buying her new and owning her for 35 years. My youngest son had his first ride in her when he was still in diapers. But the time had come. We're retired now and have more time available to be on the water and we needed (or, I should say, wanted) to upgrade to a bigger boat.

I felt the same way about the convertible, and the sports cars I once owned. The problem is there's never enough space to keep them all. As it is, I now have 7 vehicles under cover and its getting a little crowded.

The only upside is that brand new ride in the garage that I'm sure will provide an equal amount of new memories...