Specs for a 2001 Larson 190 SEI

flemingtb

Recruit
New member and in the market for a new boat this summer.

I have my eye on a 2001 Larson 190 SEI fish and ski with trailer. The dealer is advertising it at $8700, i'm going to try and work him down after inspection. But before i even get to look at it i'm doing some research on the boat and finding it hard to get the specs on it. I'm interested in the motor and drive options for this boat. All other boats I've found offer a 4.3L Volvo Penta engine/drive but this particular boat has a Mercruiser 4.3L, which I prefer but i'm suspicious if this wasn't a standard option for that year.

Anyway, if someone could point me to the spec's that would be greatly appreciated and any info/opinions on this make and model would be great too.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the 4.3 that Volvo Penta uses is the same 4.3 that Mercruiser uses. both purchased from GM

you can get all the info you want as far as specs (sales brochures) from the factory website. http://www.larsonboats.com/owners/

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm forgetting the details but If my memory serves me, the company that owned Mercruiser also owned Larson at the time. So only Mercruiser would have been available where an I/O was offered. Other non affiliated brands would offer Mercruiser and Volvo. There's been so many acquisitions over the years, I've forgotten all the specifics.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
One nice thing about that boat is the underlying structure (stringers and bulkheads) are not wood, so less worry about rot. I don't know if they were still using wood transom shields and decking at that point, though...

My '97 was originally Penta-powered(a 4.3L, I think) and the previous owner swapped it out for a Mercruiser 350 Mag Alpha One Gen 2. The change of motors and outdrive has not resulted in any problems.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Are you sure about the stringers and bulkheads? That's a huge concern.

‘97s and newer have foam-and-fiberglass stringers and bulkheads. Not sure if 2001s used exactly the same process as mine (see the restoration thread in my signature) but they moved on from wood. Mine has wood encased fiberglass for the transom core and decking, but the rest is glass.

flemingtb

Recruit
Im very interested in this boat, however I do not like the trolling motor control panel or the mount for the motor away the bow. Does anyone know if they are removable?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
The trolling motor should be removable. Thecontrol panel could come out but I think you would be left with a hole.
Do they look like these?

Attachments

• CONTROL PANEL.JPG
    CONTROL PANEL.JPG
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
  • TM.JPG
    TM.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 0

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi
perhaps wrong of me to comment, considering my lack of true knowledge on the market over there, but from what I know, I’d maybe be wanting one a few years newer and into the MPI era of around 2003 onwards. Likelyhood of wood in the build is also reduced too.