Power steering or seastar

alldodge

Staff member
The 470 is not a high torque motor so a SeaStar no feedback would be an easy install, but regular PS would be real easy to steer

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's easier to steer ?
thank you in advance

Those are not mutually exclusive. You can have both. For example, my boat has the stock Mercruiser power steering and a Seastar/Teleflex steering (cable) set. Perhaps you meant something else in particular?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on how well the boat is setup.

In my case, the boat is setup very well. It takes very little effort to steer. Once up on plane, I can walk away from the helm.

The intent has always been to replace the no-feedback system on my boat with Sea Star hydraulic but the justication just isn’t there. I’ve piloted the same boat as mine with a Seastar and the difference is minimal if any.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
My boat has both- a Hynautic full hydraulic system boosted by Merc power steering. 2 seasons ago I developed a PS leak that took me a month or 2 to track down. I ran with the PS disconnected and it was pretty easy to steer and handle. I couldn'I swing the wheel with one finger like I could with the PS, but it really took only a little more effort. The main difference was countering torque steer when nailing it to get on plane, but it was easily manageable. I could have run without the PS forever if I'd chosen to leave it that way.

My .02

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
The power steering system locks the drive into position unless it is changed by the steering equipment. That helps keep the boat on a straight course. Not the case with standard steering only where the outdrive can creep out of position. One test of the functionality of the power steering is to let the engine run and notice if the helm turns by itself. It should not. Nor should you be able to push the drive in either direction manually.