Building self-aireating live well on transom

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
I am replacing my transom on a 1986 SR Amberjack. I thought about adding a live well between ODs but I am not sure that the added weight of 10-20 gals of sea water may cause transom to flex too much. I have MC v8s/Bravos and about 620 HP total. The well would have a corresponding support triangle or bracket on the inside for additional rigidity. The outside would be bolted to transom and swim platform for exterior rigidity and strength. Attached is diagram. Any concerns?

Attachments

• photo309087.jpg
    photo309087.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0

Scott06

Vice Admiral
With two V8 s pushing in the transom I wouldn't worry about the weight of 10-20 gallons of water affecting the transom. I would check the drives clear lock to lock

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
With two V8 s pushing in the transom I wouldn't worry about the weight of 10-20 gallons of water affecting the transom. I would check the drives clear lock to lock

Are u referring to the possibility of the ODs' pops hitting live well when raised? If so, I have already marked transom with indicators the maximum size of LW, just to be sure. But, thax!!! It is my understanding, after rebuilding transom and mounting motors to mounts, the whole configuration(s) take on characteristics of a box and super strong, but with water sloshing in LW it produces harmonics that may adversely weaken transom. But, also the LW will be a box and be rigid. If anyone has performed this and experienced issues, I want to know. THX!

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Two thoughts I have before you commit to this. One figure out how to add 150 to 200 pounds to this area and make sure your happy with the performance of your boat. It may not make much of a difference in your boat but it would be great to know. 200 pounds at the very back of any boat can really change a lot of things. Maybe tie your buddy to the transom and take him for a ride:) Next build a mock up version of the box at its largest size and make sure everything works right not to mention can you service powertrain parts etc would be great to know that what youve designed wont hinder a repair or make a minor repaiir a huge repair.

I added a swim deck to the back of my smaller boat years ago. I made some rough estimates as to what would and would not work but never actually made a mock up of it. I did get the angle right but I could have made it 4 to 5 inches deeper making it much more comfortable to sit on in the water as its just big enough for a fat guy like me to sit on.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you may want to actually put the drives thru their entire range of motion. there really isnt much room outside the transom

(this is a transom of a 38' with the drives spaced at 42", your drives are most likely in the 34-35" range)

fetch

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks to all. Sorry it took so long to respond. I am getting OLD too fast working on this boat. Weight and OD movement have been estimated. Worst case scenario is that I would cut slots in LW if I encroached on OD movement. 200lbs sounds about right, including building materials and water.