Contemplating converting to a captains chair

Bainic

Recruit
I recently pulled the carpet out of my 2005 175 to replace it and started considering ditching the old b2b seats for a new captains chair on a pedestal, assuming the base of the pedestal is 7 or 8 inches in diameter, would the deck connection be strong enough or do I need to install a base plate? The deck is about 1 1/4" thick and I have no access to the underside. TIA!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I would think that would be enough deck to screw the pedestal into; the trick will be making sure you can securely fasten it to the deck. If you had access to the underside, T-nuts are a good solution but you can't install them from above. Toggle bolts might be a better solution than lag screws, if you could sufficiently waterproof the holes. Are there any structural members (stringers, bulkheads) that are under the spot where the pedestal would be located?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Generally speaking, "screw" type fasteners in wood shouldn't be used on boats. Way too many forces and vibration to give satisfactory performance.

I would forgo installation if you can't use a backing plate and thru bolt the pedestal to the deck

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We had B-T-B seats for 47 years and never thought much about it. They were comfortable and we liked them. Made into a lounge when we wanted to relax.

Last year we rode in a $96,000.00 boat with 2 front buckets on pedestals. Lots of bouncing around due to the tall shafts.

IMHO, buckets are nice if the EEZ-In brackets are mounted to a rise in the deck, not on a pedestal.

On a boat as old as yours, the probability of deck rot is quite high. My buddy installed a helm bucket and in a short time it was wobbly as well.

My advice would be to keep what you got. Just my opinion.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Just be careful. Most boats with captains chair and pedestal have real strength where they are attached. Or quality boats do at least. I’ve seen plenty of boats with these fitted as an after thought...almost instantly they show stress cracks on the floor from the sheer force put through the base. It’s the equivalent of a big pipe on the end of a wrench to give more force to loosen a nut.
Just a thought.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
If your flooring is structurally sound. A good way to reinforce areas that dont have a beam to go through start with a scrap piece of wood that’s the same thickness as your flooring cut a hole that will fit your base then make a couple of crescent shaped plates out of 1/4” aluminum it can be cut with a jig saw and a decent blade. Start by making these pieces out of 1/4” plywood for a pattern. Figure out the larges piece that can be inserted through the hole keep in mind you may not be able to push it straight down in your floor it may require spinning in. Once you figure those out mount your base to the practice board drill holes for it and then locate these holes into the plates. Epoxy stainless nuts on the plates to each screws location. Don’t get the epoxy in the threads Then cut your hole in the boat pre drill your holes and insert your plates use a piece of mechanical wire to pull each plate into position put blue lock tight on the screws and carefully start each screw trying not to break any of them off. Ive done this in a number of places including a handrail into Sheetrock in my moms bathroom. t nuts only spread the load a small area this will increase that area a lot.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I would use an aluminum plate AND T-Bolts for the strength - I have seen pedestal seats become up-rooted in rough water.....not pretty. I have also seen other people epoxy down a larger base to have more attachment area