Help for a newby

LilHonu

Cadet
After boating the last 6 years with my ex, it's my turn to take over. Any suggestion for a first boat purchase, used, under 20k for boating lakes in WI?
thanks all!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Before we can throw out any advice - What are you planning on using the boat for? Cruising, fishing, water sports, kids or all adults or just soaking up the sun?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard

first and foremost, please define which one of the 15,000 lakes in Wisconsin you want to boat in. some lakes are under 100 acres, lake Winnebago is over 137,700 acres and then there is lake michigan.

each of them requires a different boat

then there is the desired use like GA mentioned

as a Cheesehead by birth, I can tell you from experience, look outside of Wisconsin for a boat. you will save 25% by driving do places like the Quad Cities, etc. and driving back. My SeaRay 190 was purchased at a Marine Max in St Louis because it was $5k less than the same boat in WI or MN

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Although born and raised in Wisconsin, I've lived in Minnesota for many decades (5-1/2 of them to be exact) and I agree that boats can be found cheaper out-state or out-of state. I've landed some good deals over the years but timing, paying attention to inventory and otherwise doing due diligence is key to buying anything. The main thing is to not do a "shotgun" thing where you set out to buy something not being certain what you want and need for however it is you intend to use the thing. For example some boats are great for cruising but lousy for fishing and vice versa. Water sports require "power". An underpowered boat will drive you nuts. Figure out what you want, then narrow choices to about three manufacturers and models. Failure to do this will ensure you end up with something you don't like because it doesn't fit your needs.

LilHonu

Cadet
I really appreciate this feedback, so awesome! My brother has a place on Lake Wisonsin in Merrimac. I also like Lake Delavan and Pewaukee. We cruise and fish with some tubing. I tried to be a true boating partner the last 6 years and absorb as much info as possible, so this forum is great!
I looked at a Bayliner 175BR but was told by a family friend, Bayliner aren't made like they used to be. Thanks again friends!

briangcc

Commander
I really appreciate this feedback, so awesome! My brother has a place on Lake Wisonsin in Merrimac. I also like Lake Delavan and Pewaukee. We cruise and fish with some tubing. I tried to be a true boating partner the last 6 years and absorb as much info as possible, so this forum is great!
I looked at a Bayliner 175BR but was told by a family friend, Bayliner aren't made like they used to be. Thanks again friends!

That's actually the good thing about Bayliner. Their quality has improved, greatly. If you haven't looked at a new one you really should. Gone are the days where they are entry level boats - some will argue this with me but they HAVE changed.

Anything at a big box sporting goods store, you know the stores with a big old Bass on the logo, is what I would consider entry level these days. Their quality has gone downhill.

In regards to that specific Bayliner - it'll be on the small side depending on how many people you plan to have aboard. IF you are truly looking at fishing as well you *might* be better served looking at a Ski & Fish model that has the trolling motor and livewell built in.

LilHonu

Cadet
Good to know Brian! The boat I was looking at was a 2011, new would be beyond my budget. Is Boat Trader a good souce?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Click on the Boats For Sale link on top of this or any forum page. You will find a lot of options to narrow your search.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Look at a lot of boats from a lot of sources. Decide what layout you want, what you can afford, do you get a loan, etc. You'll see what's available compared to what you want, and what's available in your price range. Then keep looking. I found one of our boats by chance, but by that point had done my homework, so I knew it was the one I wanted when I happened upon it.

briangcc

Commander
Good to know Brian! The boat I was looking at was a 2011, new would be beyond my budget. Is Boat Trader a good souce?

It's one of many places. You may also want to check out your local marinas. Often they have model year left overs at discounts, sometimes substantial discounts, that *might* put new back into your search. They also get trades this time of year from people who suffer from 2-ft-itis and you might find one a couple years old that was traded in. Less risky, albeit more expensive, buying used from a marina. At least they have to stand behind it, an individual sale you're left up to the honesty of the seller.

As the weather warms up, the prices will go up, nature of the beast. Its also when others like yourself start contemplating a boat with their tax returns. Not the most ideal time to buy. Usually fall when everyone suddenly has the revelation of "where am I storing this?" decides to offload theirs at sometimes substantial discounts. Then you might happen upon a gem.

Good luck!

If there's something you want a set of eyeballs on, post the link and you'll get some very candid responses.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
You are asking the age old question that everybody struggles with.

I have been a boatman since I was about 4 years old. It took me 15 years to find out what I wanted, another 20 years to find out what I really needed, and another 20 years to be able to afford it.

Buy what looks good to you. Make sure it was well maintained and is in good shape. Keep it in pristeen condition and in a few years trade it in for what looks good to you at the time.

I am an anomaly, so don't take my advice. My oldest boat is now 67 years old, and the boat we sold last year we owned for 35 years. Most people tire of things in a hurry and thus waste a lot of money.

Good luck in your search.

LilHonu

Cadet
I love your response! I've tried to walk away from boating but after growing up with it as well, I figured out, it really makes me happy. I wish I knew more about mechanics, that being the priority in my search. I've tried to learn hands on and read as my as possible. I am patient, and per the advise here, probably will look to purchase towards the fall, but who knows.. maybe it'll be love at first site!
Thanks again, Theresa

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't wait till fall, as the number of boats on the market will drop considerably.

Being in WI, the best time to buy may be in mid to late July through late August.

By September 10th, many people are done for the year and preparing for winter storage.

I would look for an outboard powered boat as opposed to an i/o, as maintenance is less daunting, and the risk of major damage or repairs is less in my opinion.

Boat trader is a source for browsing, but like most places, the asking prices are usually a few thousand too high.
Look for something in the 15k range, and haggle down to 11 or 12.

A majority of boats available will be listed on craigslist, once you narrow down your search, check the listings within 100 miles, DAILY.

A major factor in what boat you buy, is what you have for a tow vehicle.
Late model mid-sized suv's have very little towing capacity.

Outboard powered boats will weigh less, and aluminum boats even less.

As for Pewaukee, too crowded for me. Can't do any real fishing there, and watersports on the weekend is downright dangerous with all the crazies flying around.

LilHonu

Cadet
Thanks Roscoe! What lakes do you suggest? Also any used make I should be eyeballing?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So, guessing you are in south or southeast WI.
Lived in tosa, Milw, Brookfield, for 35 years, now I'm further north.

Just driving an hour or more away from the huddled masses came make your day on the water so much more relaxing.

Koshkonong, Lake Mills, Beaver Dam, Fox Lake, then a bit further up the Wisconsin River is Castle Rock Lake, and Petenwell Flowage. And as you know, lots of good water in the WI River.

Makes and models? way too many to consider.

Your price range should put you in a fairly new boat, but don't be afraid to look at a boat that is 14-20 years old.
Condition is more important than age.
Get it inspected by a mechanic before buying it.
And get an on water test drive with the seller if possible.

Make sure you get current registration and title for the boat.
And current registration for the trailer.
Make sure they are all in the sellers name.

If you go with an i/o, then only Mercruiser engine and outdrive.
For outboards, Mercury, Yamaha, Honda, Evinrude E-tec

What to avoid?
NO OMC, Force, Ford, or Ficht.

How many people will be in the boat?

Last edited:

LilHonu

Cadet
Usually 2, sometimes 4. I've been looking at 2012 to 2017 Chapparel h2o's, any thoughts?

jkust

Rear Admiral
20k for a used boat is a decent budget if you are under that 20ish foot mark where boats are substantially less expensive. I'm in MN and there's a few weeks in the spring when all the boats come on the market and the good ones quickly get snapped up that the remainers all have something that turns people off, maybe underpowered or something like that.
People will start to market their boats mostly on CL while they are still in storage and take appointments to see the boat the day they get it out. When the economy is good as it is now, things are even crazier.

I'm on my second Chaparral right now, not because of brand loyalty but because they tended to get the details right that others may have missed in particular in the early to mid 2000's. I'd have bought something else if there were a better boat available at the time which there wasn't. Not the biggest fan of the H20 line which was Chaparrals response to the downturn in the economy back during the economic turmoil of the middle 2000's. Not in the same realm as their SSi or SSx models but still as nice or nicer than most other 'everyman' brands out there. Would be fine for nice first boat. Keep in mind, Chaparral resorted to almost completely dropping their SSi line of boats now and instead focus on the budged oriented H20 Line. People aren't willing to spend over 100k for 22 foot boat when the H20 can be had for so much less for the same LOA. I think they are down to one single SSi model last time I checked.

briangcc

Commander
When I bought my Chap I looked at a number of other boat manufacturers and bang for the buck this was the best...others were a 10k premium for their name slapped on it (or more).

Since purchasing I've had (2) minor warranty claims - one I'm pretty sure was self inflicted....

(1) Down solenoid on the I/O burnt out. Pretty sure this was due to the way I stored the bimini top in the boat. No muss, no fuss warranty repair.

(1) LED marker light went out on the Coyote MFG trailer. I sent a claim direct to the trailer manufacturer and had a replacement in hand which I wired in myself. Replacement was mailed direct to me, at my request, at no cost.

Other than that my boat has been rock solid in terms of fit/finish/construction.

What would I change?

1. That silly Garmin Striker 4 with its measly 4" screen. It's honestly a joke. It's in the works to be replaced.

2. I also despise the JVC stereo. I don't think they could have made it any harder to synch a bluetooth device to it. My plan is Rockford Fosgate replacement. **Both items are admiral approved :)

3. I added SeaDek to the swim platform. I made a custom pattern and paid (dearly) to have it made. I installed it with the help of my admiral and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. Best upgrade we've done by far!

LilHonu

Cadet
Good info! There is a boT show in Cicago this weekend, Chap will be there. I've been looking at them, in your estimate what is a good ballpark for a 3 to 5 year old h20? Also, I see you tow with a 4 runner, I have a Pilot - think that would suffice?