Is this a good boat?

jsaylor

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have gone from bass boat to party barge my wife misses the comfort of the party barge, we mosty use on our local lake for pleasure and pan fishing, was going to purchase a no frills aluminum but saw a 2003 Four Winns freedom fish and ski with all the fishing needs plus comfort, and I said I would never get an I/0 again. do you know if this a good boat?

MRS

Commander
Have a photo? I just left the I/O world I will never go back outboards for ever for me.

southkogs

Staff member
Four Winns is never going to go down in history as a premium brand. But there was nothin' wrong with 'em. In a boat as old as 2003, condition is the big key. I can go either way on I/O or outboard. I've been running I/Os for almost 10 years now and I'm pretty happy with both that I've had.

Like MRS said, a link to the boat in question will help us toss some opinions on the fire.

tpenfield

Staff member
Middle of the road brand IMO. I would check the bulkheads and stringers for soft spots, signs of rot, etc.

ahicks

Captain
2 things-
1st, I've been a dyed in the wool pontoon'er for MANY years. They've always suited my purpose and served me faithfully in an inland lake scenario. Now, I find my "mission" is changing slightly, as our stomping grounds now include a few rivers with access to the Gulf of Mexico. Now occasionally, I find myself needing to cover some country with my sea going patio. The pontoon will get us to our destination (eventually), but thinking something to do that more quickly would be easily justified. Now looking at alum deck boats so I can still pull it with our newish mid size SUV (frequently trailered). Likely a project boat, so I can re-do it my way.

2nd,
After MANY years of straight inboards, V drives, and I/O's, and loving all of them, I've gone to 4 stroke outboards, and consider them a HUGE improvement over anything I've ever owned. Less weight, less maintenance, less expensive to maintain (and no standing on your head to service), less expensive to replace (eventually), dramatically easier to winterize, and the same super quiet smooth operation (if not quieter and smoother). Will never go back to automotive based power again. -Al

tpenfield

Staff member

SHO220Z

Recruit
Four Winns is an excellent boat and a mid-to-upper tier builder. I would put them under Chaparral, above Sea Ray, and I would put Formula and Cobalt on top of all of them.

I just bought a brand new 2018 H210 and I am very happy with the build quality - to - cost ratio.