Will a 30 hp Johnson be ok With a 20 ft sunbird?

mr 88

Commander
Sure, if you want to troll all day or not go over 10 mph. Seriously you need to be within at least 75% of the rated max hp for that boat if you expect any sort of performance out of it. That 30 will not even put her up on a plane. What is the boat rated for ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, HFH.

Only if you boat on a No Wake lake.

As Capt. Kirk said ; "I need more power, Scotty"

Hereforhelp

Cadet
The boat is rated for 110 hp max. I have a 90 on it currently, I’m just having some issues with it. I was just curious to see if the small engine would be worth my time! I guess I will keep trying to work on the 90 hp. Thanks and if anyone has any tips on why my starter is just spinning and not engaging the flywheel please let me know! It was doing fine all day while I was trying to get the engine running and now it won’t even engage. ( I just got the boat and motor and have been trying to get it running for a few days.)

Jmitch1102

Seaman
I would start by checking your battery’s voltage. If you have been trying to start it multiple times without charging it your battery is probably weak. If you battery is fully charged I would next check your battery terminals and verify they are clean and tight. Then follow the ground and positive removing them and cleaning the contact and re-installing them. Did the boat turn over when you first tried it? Also don’t forget to install muffs or put it in water to keep from running your water pump dry! What brand and year motor?

southkogs

Staff member
Check THIS post out, and see if that gives you any direction on the starter.

I ran a 50HP on a 17' for a while. The boat was rated for 100HP, and the 50 would just barely get it on plane ... if I didn't have much of a load ... relatively smooth water ... and was downhill :) Work on your outboard. You wouldn't like the 30 at all.

Welcome.

Hereforhelp

Cadet
Ok so I cleaned the terminals and had the battery fully charged. And the starter will engage the flywheel but it’s not turning it. Also the engine was turning over when I first stated to work on it yesterday.

mr 88

Commander
Start on new post in the Johnson Evinrude outboard motor forum,located a bit under this forum to get better feedback on your starting issues !

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Sounds like u need a new battery.quick test is to hook a fully charged jump pack to the battery and see how it cranks.had same with my 150 last year.i assumed it was the starter and i was wrong.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d think it would plane but be screaming to keep it there. Any family or gear onboard...mmm maybe not so good.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The boat is rated for 110 hp max. I have a 90 on it currently, I’m just having some issues with it. I was just curious to see if the small engine would be worth my time! I guess I will keep trying to work on the 90 hp. Thanks and if anyone has any tips on why my starter is just spinning and not engaging the flywheel please let me know! It was doing fine all day while I was trying to get the engine running and now it won’t even engage. ( I just got the boat and motor and have been trying to get it running for a few days.)

are all your connections clean? including the mounting pad for the starter? by clean, I mean that they are clean enough your wife could eat off them?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Do you currently own the 30 HP, plan buying it which are two different scenarios...

A 30 will perform crappy on that size boat, to get the max out of it will need to go for a prop maximization dropping some pitches from current one in order to pull wot revs up for combo to be on its way faster. If boating loaded same as with the 90 HP in current use will only achieve fast displacement speed.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
100hp rating?What year is the bird?My brothers is a 95 and is rated for 130hp and is 17.5 feet.Has a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke .Id fix my issues with the 90 you will not like a 30 on her atall.