Help with finding a boat

jsaylor

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking for a fishing boat want stable when standing to one side typically just two in boat however would like to have 4 people for pleasure ride. I'm going to look at two boats both the same price, haven't looked at either because it's a 6 hour drive.
1990 Spectrum Sport with a 115 hp Suzuki 2011 two stroke
2000 fisher Hawk 17 with a 90 hp merk 2 stroke
Which do you think has a better ride?
Both boats are about 9k

I see several people say the spectrum in 1990 was built by bayliner as an entry level fishing boat than other saying it was built by tracker
Thanks

southkogs

Staff member
I think that Spectrum started as a Brunswick boats (same group that owns Bayliner), but eventually wound up a Tracker boat. Fisher is a Tracker brand, I'm pretty sure. There may not be that big of a difference between them.

At 19 and 29 years old ... who made 'em doesn't mean much. Condition is the big key, and that's going to drive the bulk of your decision here. Do you have links to the boats in question?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
$9K for a 19 year old boat with a 2-stroke outboard is a ridiculous price.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
9 grand for what really are old boats is ridiculous no matter what make. Both are past their best before dates. You must be in an expensive market, you may need to drive a tad to get a fair price. I agree that at that age of boat it's all about condition, actually any age it's condition, condition. I've seen 2 year old Crackers, errr shpuld I say Trackers in far worse shape than a 20 year old StarCraft.

As far as what boat rides best is up to the buyer. You must take any boat you are thinking about buying out and you and only you decide what rides better in all conditions. Maybe your partner too.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Look for an older Boston Whaler. Very stable and perfect fishing boats.

Of all the boats out there, Whalers hold their price better than any of them. If you want to talk about "overpriced" a Whaler will give you sticker shock. If you find an old one at a reasonable price, chances are the hull was breached and the core is waterlogged.

Carl1783

Seaman
Like buying any boat, he’s got know what to look for. The OP is in the PNW like myself, and if he’s looking at aluminium boats they command a special premium here. Looks like he’s in Portland so lots of aluminium jets run the Columbia. A 16’-17’ Whaler in decent shape would be in the $10k range I think.