Which engine for Stingray 182 SC

BigSick

Recruit
Looking to purchase a Stingray 182 SC deck boat. Options are 90 hp Yamaha outboard (Standard) or upgrade to 115 hp. Any thoughts? The dealer usually tries up sell but this one recommends the 90, says it performs better.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Get the largest engine you can. Ask him how 25 less HP "performs better". Some people get caught up in thinking a smaller engine uses less fuel. It doesn't work that way. So, the only advantage to the smaller engine is lower purchase price. That would be what they call "penny wise and pound foolish". When you load the boat with people and gear and try to pull water toys you will want the HP.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Yup, I got thoughts...

Been an Evinrude guy since the beginning, then went to Yamis and now I am a confirmed Mercury guy. 35 of those years were with Stingray.

I just perused the Stingray web site and looked at some specs and prices. Look at the speeds and fuel efficiencies...the data is there. The 115 has more displacement. The upcharge is reasonable. I'd go with the 115 every day.

But I'll take it one step further. I personally feel that Mercury 4-strokes are the best outboards ever made. Lower maintenance requirements than the Yami and significantly more displacement, even though they are lighter weight.

I realize that would be an additional upcharge, but I believe the Merc 115 would be the best performer on that boat.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nothing ruins a boat faster than a hole in the bottom, or an engine that is too small.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Nothing ruins a boat faster than a hole in the bottom, or an engine that is too small.

Welllll, there's a lot more to it than that.

If you get the boat on the trailer and out of the water before it sinks and floods the engine, any hole can easily be repaired.

We ran our 3.0 Liter Stingray for 35 years and were happy as a clam all the time. People on the internet repeatedly claimed that the little 4-banger just wasn't adequate. Coulda fooled us,.....LOL.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Have yet to own a boat with too much power. Really depends on what you want to do and how many people you want to take out and if you want to tow anybody.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I’d defo go with the larger of the two.
I’d also add that if this stingray is anything like the ones I’m familiar with previously and especially the one in my boat yard currently (an early 2000’s 18ft open bow), they are so quick with modest horse power. The one here just now gave even my boat a fright up to about 55mph. It has a 4.3 carb. They punch well above their comparable class equivalent. Down side is they are fast because they a lightly built. It’s the same size as my boat at 18ft...but it’s at least a quarter of a ton lighter than mine and a very shallow V. Won’t be great in a chop...if it is even a consideration. Lovely looking boats.

roffey

Commander
Get the largest engine you can. Ask him how 25 less HP "performs better". Some people get caught up in thinking a smaller engine uses less fuel. It doesn't work that way. So, the only advantage to the smaller engine is lower purchase price. That would be what they call "penny wise and pound foolish". When you load the boat with people and gear and try to pull water toys you will want the HP.

Agree 100%, bigger motor, every time..