Sun Tracker, Lowe, or Bennington

Responder12

Recruit
I am trying to do my research preparing to buy my second boat and first pontoon. Our first boat was 93 caravelle bow rider that was a great starter boat to beat and bang up without much loss. We sold that boat a couple years ago and are getting the itch for a pontoon, which was the plan when we sold the other one. I want the pontoon we buy to be a good quality long lasting fish and cruise pontoon. I’m looking at Sun Tracker, Lowe, and Bennington. I zeroed in on the Lowe SF 212 WT and find that layout to best suite my needs. However the sun tracker Fishin Barge 20 would meet my needs and obviously is cheaper. Then theirs Bennington which is top of the line from what I can tell. I don’t love their fishing model layouts. My question is if I go with a Lowe am I sacrificing quality just for a layout I like? Also what size motor for a 21 foot pontoon. We will use almost exclusively on Lake Guntersville, Al. No I don’t need to do 70 on the water, but I want to be able to move a decent clip with several people on board and not spend 15k on a motor. I’m thinking the Mercury 115CT but I’m no expert some I’m looking for some good solid help.

Attachments

• photo308768.png
    photo308768.png
    558.3 KB · Views: 0

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Welcome to iboats. In my own experience......... the only way to "move a decent clip with several people" is to look for a tri-toon and/or make sure you get a test drive with extra people aboard. Someone will be able to answer what a 21' pontoon with a 115 will/will not do

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can't answer you on brand as i have a 21 Starcraft, but as far as motor goes I had it rigged with a mercury 115CT and with two people and light load i was able to hit 33mph. I was originally going to get a Suzuki but it was on backorder so I settled on the mercury and am glad that i did. The lower gear ratio in the command thrust is perfect for my pontoon

Responder12

Recruit
Thanks for the advice. I’d like to do anywhere from 28mph to 35 mph. I also will look at the 232 WT however I’m kind of dead set on the 21 foot range due to limited tow vehicle capacity on my wife’s vehicle. I appreciate the advice and if anyone else has any advice on brand I would appreciate.

jsaylor

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have had several pontoons the last was a 24 foot Sun Tracker with a four cylinder I/0 great boat ran about 28. Just sold what I think is the best of both worlds 2001 Sun Tracker Party Deck (deck boat) topside just like a pontoon however aluminum V hull with a 115 mercury no problem running 35mph loved everthing about it.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
I'm a little late to the game here, but we have a 21' Lowe SS210 tritoon with the wave tamer package and a Merc 115 Pro XS with CT, it'll to 35mph with our family of 4, a dog, and our gear.. We cruise in the 22-25mph range. For the same model, 2' longer, you'll need the 150 to do the same speed, the 150 also requires hydraulic steering. For us it wasn't just a $2-$3k upgrade to move to the 150, it was $4-$5k since we'd have to go with hydraulic steering, and it would only net us MAYBE another 5mph top end..

SkiSprinkle686

Seaman Apprentice
I am going this weekend to purchase a 2019 Sun Tracker Party Barge 20 DLX with a 90 Mercury with command thrust. For us, we were sold on the warranty that Sun Tracker offers. Plus, we can get the motor covered under warranty for 8 years for an extra $1000. Also includes a custom mooring cover, ski bar and $400 gift card to Bass Pro which we will use to buy fenders, anchor, rope etc. It is rated for speeds between 23-29 so we should be happy with it. Most of the time it will be 2 adults and 2 children.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Benningtons are Cadillacs. Trackers are the bottom of the barrel. Lowes are somewhere in between. Decide how much you are able to spend.

Personally, I would go for the Lowes. Trackers may be cheap, but they don't hold up very well and the resale value is low.

Now, having said that, if you are anal about maintenance and garage store your boat, and intend to keep it for eons, even the cheapest one will serve you well.