Got a new toy for the boat and ive hit a small snag

ErvCam

Seaman
I recently purchased a garmin echomap 93sv

I ran out of day light yesterday due to a late start on the project however all I have left to do is run the transducer cable to the unit. My current issue is having it not come too close to the battery positive wire as to avoid any noise in the signal. I am contemplating either A.) drilling a new hole and routing completely away from remainder of wires or, B.) using a rubber insulated hose on the transducer cable and routing it with the rest of the wires. Any suggestions from you guys would be great.

Attachments

• photo308716.jpg
    photo308716.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo308717.jpg
    photo308717.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo308718.jpg
    photo308718.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The transducer cable is shielded and grounded. You could tape it to the battery cable and not have a problem.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
All the directions say that. I've been running mine thru the main conduit tube for years and never had a problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
well this is awesome news. I wonder why the directions indicated otherwise.
mostly a CYA statement. Prudent routing is advisable, but don’t kill yourself over it.

I have the main power to the helm, a NMEA 2000 backbone cable, two transducers, wiring for wash down and bilges pump and the trim and tilt control harness running in a 4” diameter rigging tube. No problems at all.

If you have enough “noise” on a power wire to disrupt a digital signal, you have bigger problems to deal with

ErvCam

Seaman
Any tips on how you guys ran it through the conduit tube? Mines a pita. I also see those nema 2000 in and out wires but I’m not sure wth those are for. I’m assuming for boat gauges?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
When replacing a wire I tie mono to the end before pulling out the old. Tie wire to mono and pull back thru. I use a fish tape on new cables.
NMEA 2000 backbone is a network cable used by various components to communicate with each other.

I have both transducers, fuel flow senor, paddle wheel speed, remote GPS antenna, chart plotter and fish finder and VHF radio all networked together on my boat.

ErvCam

Seaman
When replacing a wire I tie mono to the end before pulling out the old. Tie wire to mono and pull back thru. I use a fish tape on new cables.
NMEA 2000 backbone is a network cable used by various components to communicate with each other.

I have both transducers, fuel flow senor, paddle wheel speed, remote GPS antenna, chart plotter and fish finder and VHF radio all networked together on my boat.

My boats a older 85 Bayliner the wiring is somewhat of a nightmare. I’ve been debating on pulling the wiring and cleaning it up and pulling it back through. I’m gonna do some research on the NMEA 2000 before I get into it too crazy. As of now I just need that transducer wire to my center console lol

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My boats a older 85 Bayliner the wiring is somewhat of a nightmare. I’ve been debating on pulling the wiring and cleaning it up and pulling it back through. I’m gonna do some research on the NMEA 2000 before I get into it too crazy. As of now I just need that transducer wire to my center console lol
NMEA 2000 wasn't implemented until well after your boat was manufactured and your motor isn't compliant to the standard. Any NMEA cables would have been installed by a prior owner in connection with a chart plotter install.

ErvCam

Seaman
Well I’m back with another issue. My motor is only about to pull 13 gallons out of my 40 gallon tank. Once it’s used about 13 gallons my bulb goes flat and when I try to prime it it sounds like it’s just sucking air. What could be the cause of this?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If the bulb goes flat either the tank vent is plugged or there is an issue in the pickup tube in the tank. Suck hard on an empty soda bottle and you will see what's happening. To suck fuel out of the tank, air must get into the tank to replace that fuel. Air is not getting in so things begin to get sucked in. The problem is definitely between the primer bulb and the bottom of the pickup tube in the tank. Something in the tank may be floating around and plugging the pickup tube at certain fuel level.

ErvCam

Seaman
I’ll replace the vent hose but I believe it’s clear of any debris. When I replaced all the fuel lines I hooked up the air hose to it and blew anything out that was in it. I’ll take a look at the pickup today or tomorrow

ErvCam

Seaman
Ok to update. I removed my fuel pick up and it wasn’t blocked however it did not have a filter at the end and it was a stainless steel tube that entered the tank. 2 I removed the old and brittle vent hose which was also clear of debris however it went from the tank up to where the trolling plate was and it looped there went back down and then up into the vent. Is this odd or normal?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yes there should be a loop, this is for preventing water from going directly to the tank if the vent gets submerged for a few seconds.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I’ll replace the vent hose but I believe it’s clear of any debris. When I replaced all the fuel lines I hooked up the air hose to it and blew anything out that was in it. I’ll take a look at the pickup today or tomorrow

I had a plugged vent as well. All I did was took the vent and gas cap off and blew compressed air through the vent.At first it wasn't doing anything then I could hear air bubbles and fuel started coming out the filler tube.

When I ran a new cable to a new ducer I went ahead and insulated the wire as instructed. I too was told no need but for the cheap price of wire insulation I did it anyway while I easily could. Little details help me sleep at night.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

I learned a trick yers ago. When I have to chase wire down a conduitI was shown to tie enough heavy mono longer than the conduit etc to the wire. At the end of the mono tape a few Kleenexes to the mono. Slide the mono and Kleenexes into the tube. Then use anything that can blow air from a Shop Vac or leaf blower etc. The Kleenex with show up at the end of the conduit, quickly.

ErvCam

Seaman
I just realized I asked this in the wrong thread lol sorry guys but thanks for all the input ill report back to see if the issue is resolved this weekend.