Bowrider layouts

rick1country

Recruit
Hey all, I've been searching for 19'-20' ish bow rider that has the classic two (front to back) seats...but most importantly the two rear seats. It seems all manufactures have switched to the Sport rear bench seat layout. Are there any new(er) boats with the old layout? attached is layout of the old Bayliner 195 (classic)

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• photo308715.jpg
    photo308715.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 5

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We ran with your desired layout for 35 years. Then we switched to the cross bench seat. What an improvement! Wish we did it sooner.

I don't know of a manufacturer that has the old design. Probably because the new design sells more boats.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
New design is way better and also look into mid 2000's sea rays those are about the newest I know of having that lay out

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my searay 190 had a large aft bench and two captains chairs. best layout ever. way better than the 2+2 layout and much more comfortable. not to mention the large sunpad is a bonus too.

briangcc

Commander
A lot of the manufacturers have changed to captain's chairs and either a bench seat or U (or L) shaped seating. Finding the layout you're looking at is going to be tricky. That's the layout my '99 Bayliner 1800 had.

**I don't recall seeing anything at the local boat shows with that layout this year.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Agreed, on the sport seating plus the focus has been on the social swim platform features and layout the last several years.

TBarCYa

My 2008 18' bowrider has the two rear seats but has a back to pack on port and captain's chair on starboard. Great layout and provides exactly enough seats for the coast guard maximum of 7.

harringtondav

Commander
I've been looking at the same type of boat and length. I've checked all major brand sites and have not seen the layout you want. I'm not going to try to change your mind, but my wife's family had a '75 Sea Sprite Sea Nymph with your layout. That was the style then. My '96 has the current 'Euro' layout, as it was called. We found it just as functional, plus a ton more storage under the sundeck.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
With aft "jump seats", as they were called, entry and exit from the boat was always by stepping on those seats. Thus, (if you are anal about condition), the jumps always had a rash.

The cross stern seat usually ads a walk-thru on one side, thus no need to step on the upholstery. But, more importantly, its a much easier access for the ladies.

Look at cars, boats, RVs, or whatever, trends and styles (and colors) evolve because the manufacturers change based on what sells. What sells is what the majority of the consumers want (and buy).

OTOH, I simply HATE curved windshields. They take up too much space and no matter what you say, there is some visual distortion. Not many boats have flat glass any more - so what's a guy to do?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The two captains chairs and rear bench with lifting sunpad is way better. Few reasons. Looks better Better access to engine without taking half the boat to bits But perhaps more importantly...it reduces the chance of the old party trick that was...the old type box engine bay had a habit of blowing up of you weren’t religious with your blower pre start up. I could list a dozen or so boats it’s happened to locally, that had the old arrangement. Tiny wee space and combustible fumes...never a good mix.

SkaterRace

The new layout is much better, I'd be curious as to why you want the only one. Also JimS123 I don't think the windshields are that bad really. I have had old '62 scott that had a plexiglass type windhshield and it has wicked curves and no major distortion that it bothered me when sitting. Though it was scratched to hell as expected for a boat that old and so I stood 90% of the time

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I bought my 2008 Searay, I actually opted for the jump seats over the bench. Since the boat was only a 175, the jump seats left lots of floor space. I do have to admit, they were comfy and it was easy to nod off while fishing. But even back then in '08-09, the longer 19-20' models all had the bench across the back. I haven't seen jump seats in the newer models for quite a few years.

IMG_1518.JPGIMG_1517.JPG

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The new layout is much better, I'd be curious as to why you want the only one. Also JimS123 I don't think the windshields are that bad really. I have had old '62 scott that had a plexiglass type windhshield and it has wicked curves and no major distortion that it bothered me when sitting. Though it was scratched to hell as expected for a boat that old and so I stood 90% of the time

Back in '62 there was a Scott dealer within walking distance of the house. OMG, my Dad (and I) wanted that boat so bad but Mom said we didn't have a garage to store it, so we weren't going to buy another boat that would just rot like the last one that we had to store outside.

(memories....)

Back in '68 (after I got growed up) I actually had a boat with a plexiglass curved windshield and i didn't think much of it at the time. But today, with the glass curved windshields, coupled with my aged eyesight, even the minimal distortion is unsatisfactory to me. Plus, I DON'T stand up. I boat to be comfortable.

Our '19 SeaRay was bought because it had a straight windshield. Everyone has their own opinion.

rick1country

Recruit
Hey all, Thanks for the responses. The answer to most, as to "why would you want the old layout." habit. It's what the family is used to, and what we like. We like the ability to have people in the bow (In sun) the middle front to back seats....under cover (Bimini Top) and then the two rear seats mostly in the sun. It's just been a comfortable (good layout) bow rider for us. Most boats I see with similar seating layout are walk-arounds, or duel consoles and start at 23' 25' lengths and big $$$.

I agree with comments about boats going with U or L shape seats, and huge focus on swim platforms/entry,etc.

Oh well, those are the breaks. I was just curious if there was something I've been missing.

Thanks again.

rick1country

Recruit
When I bought my 2008 Searay, I actually opted for the jump seats over the bench. Since the boat was only a 175, the jump seats left lots of floor space. I do have to admit, they were comfy and it was easy to nod off while fishing. But even back then in '08-09, the longer 19-20' models all had the bench across the back. I haven't seen jump seats in the newer models for quite a few years.

I probably should have been more clear in my original post. I was curious about new boats with the old layout (2017-2019) I'm pretty sure Bayliner still offered the "classic" layout up until 2013 (but most of their 195 that year was bench) I think Bayliner may still offer the two rear seats on their 175.

I guess the only options would be to go with smaller boat (not really an option) or get with the times. ha!

SkaterRace

Back in '62 there was a Scott dealer within walking distance of the house. OMG, my Dad (and I) wanted that boat so bad but Mom said we didn't have a garage to store it, so we weren't going to buy another boat that would just rot like the last one that we had to store outside.

(memories....)

Back in '68 (after I got growed up) I actually had a boat with a plexiglass curved windshield and i didn't think much of it at the time. But today, with the glass curved windshields, coupled with my aged eyesight, even the minimal distortion is unsatisfactory to me. Plus, I DON'T stand up. I boat to be comfortable.

Our '19 SeaRay was bought because it had a straight windshield. Everyone has their own opinion.

That scott was a cool boat, loved it but it was rotten badly and had too big of engine on it so junked it.

SHO220Z

Recruit
I am reasonably confident Bayliner was the last holdout that ran this configuration, and you can't really get them anymore unless you go outboard and Dual Console.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would prefer the lounge Back to Back seats and get rid of the bench seat. I find Bucket seats, in Boats or Cars very uncomfortable for my Shoulder Blades. I was thinking of tossing my buckets, putting in a set of back to backs, I think there is enough room for them to open, even with the god awful Bench still there, if not, it can be removed and tossed in a ditch. I could then place a wall to close off the front engine compartment and support the front of the sunpad

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I would prefer the lounge Back to Back seats and get rid of the bench seat. I find Bucket seats, in Boats or Cars very uncomfortable for my Shoulder Blades. I was thinking of tossing my buckets, putting in a set of back to backs, I think there is enough room for them to open, even with the god awful Bench still there, if not, it can be removed and tossed in a ditch. I could then place a wall to close off the front engine compartment and support the front of the sunpad

I'm a boat show junkie. We go to 4 shows each year - 2 close, 1 across the state, and 1 in a neighboring state. Nice vacation weekends in the dead of Winter.

For 35 years I have said if we find one better than ours, I'll trade her in.

This year we did.

For 35 years b-t-b seats were the norm, with 2 aft jump seats. We now have a captain's bucket, a first mate's lounge and a full width aft seat. All we had to do was sit in it in the boat show and we made the deal that day.

We all have likes and dislikes. Fortunately, there are enough choices to satisfy most everyone. If anyone's first choice is not available, complaints to the manufacturer's are in order. If that doesn't suffice, make your own mods. None of my boats have ever been stock. If I can't customize my ride I'm not happy...