Weird hard steering problem

AndyPandy

Cadet
Hi All, I recently replaced the steering cable on my boat, as the old one has a lot of free play in it. Otherwise, it turned fine.

Having fitted the new cable, I'm a bit perplexed. If I connect everything back up, the steering takes all my might to turn! However, it I disconnect the drag arm, the outboard pivots freely, and the steering is easy to move, and runs through the tilt tube with no issues at all.

So why would connecting the drag arm cause a problem?

I lubed the connection to the steering cable, and the connection to the outboard, and both are turning very freely.

I will confess that when I first installed it, I thought it would be a good idea to slather it in copper grease that I had laying about. (both parts of the sliding pole mechanism. I realised my mistake, and cleaned off all that I could, and used white lithium grease instead.

Could my initial screw up be causing this problem? Some times I can get it turning nicely, but the if I turn full lock to starboard (nicely), it is stiff as anything coming back to port, and then stiff against to starboard.

I'm confused!

The Force power

Commander
Sound to me the drag-arm is binding-up when connected to the steering-mechanism Try to keep the nut from the cable-assembly ( that screws onto the tilt-tube) loose, so it can turn when the engine pivots/trim good luck:)

AndyPandy

Cadet
I can't see the drag arm binding onto anything, moving it manually etc. I tried with the drag arm connections loosened (in case they were binding), and also the large nut the secures the steering cable to the tile tube loosened, and it's the same...!

AndyPandy

Cadet
Update on the weirdness. Having done everything I could think possible at the stern, I moved to the helm, and unwound the cable from the helm.

This it disconnected, I can turn the outboard easily by hand, and the cable moves through the jacket fine.

So, naturally, it all makes no sense as the helm works fine without the outboard connected!

Anyway, I've ordered a new helm (and steering wheel because the old one is tatty), so we'll see if that makes any difference...

AndyPandy

Cadet
Well I replaced the helm today, and although a tiny bit better, the issue is still there. Any ideas?!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Did you ream out well the tube the cable goes into at the O/B? Years of built up grease will bind the new cable. If you have then as you suspect there may be a problem at the helm. There should be a set screw below the steering shaft, loosening it may free up the tight steering. There is a possibility there is a kink in the cable inside the cable sheath. I've seen them tight coming out of the box from the manufacturer. It doesn't take much of a kink and it isn't always visible. With the cable disconnected at the engine end you should be able to easily move that cable in and out by hand.

The free play you mention may have only been the set screw below the steering column being loose. Banging up and down over waves can loosen it.

AndyPandy

Cadet
The old cable worked fine, aside from the free play, which is why I changed it. There is no set screw on this helm (UFlex T67). The tilt tube was cleaned, and doesn't appear to be the issue.

Here's what I've tried to pinpoint the issues:

Disconnect drag link, helm connected.
- Outboard pivots easily by hand, as no cable attached.
- Steering turns easily, and cable passes through the tilt tube with ease.

Disconnect Helm, drag link connected.
- Outboard pivots easily by hand, and steering cable exits/enters the sheath with no issues.
- Steering turn easily, as no cable going though it.

So all I can deduce is that the helm is fine, the cable is fine, and the tilt tube is fine! But, when all are connected up, the issue occurs.

One thing I thought of was that when I installed the cable, I only had copper grease in the garage, so I used that, both on the tube that slides through the tilt tube, and also (having extended the cable) the tube that slides within that tube. I've since cleaned it off, and applied white lithium grease, so I don't know if that's an issue?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, is the Helm compatible with the cable? That would appear to be the only alternative remaining.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Perhaps under any kind of load, the helm and cable mismatch causes a bind? Put some load i.e. have someone resist the cable push and pull, and see what happens.

AndyPandy

Cadet
Hi Chris - The helm and cable match. It's a Uflex T67 helm, with their M58 cable. Both new.

I've been working the cable in and out, adding more white lithium grease, and I've got it moving reasonably in the very middle of the steering range. Turning further to port, or starboard, and it tightens right up still :(

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Time to buy a new boat.

Seriously for a inute. Are you sure, 110% positive that the cable tube at the OB is clean? How did you clean it? I had 20 plus years of old dry grease in mine when I changed the cable 3 years ago. I was ready to feed the cable into the tube when my Marine Guru asked me if the inside of the tube is clean. Oh yea, and I greased it well. He pulled what looked like a mini bottle washer that had stiff bristles on it that just fit into the tube. I don't know where he got it and he aint sayin'. He put it on a cordless drill and covered it in grease so not to score the stainless tube on the inside. On slow speed he reamed out the tube. The black stuff that came out was hard as a rock. I thought I cleaned the tube, not. I probably didn't need a cable I needed to clean the tube. That would have saved me hours trying to get the cable to make the 90 turn at the transom.

AndyPandy

Cadet
I took the stern end apart yesterday, and reamed out the tilt tube, even though the cable was sliding through it fine. I got a load of rust out of it, and put it back together. I used a BBQ cleaner brush, with spiral wire windings, ground off the handle, and bent it straight, then attached one of the cut ends to a drill and ran it through a few time with WD40.

This resulted in a lot of rust coloured WD40 running out, then I ran rags through it a few times, until they were coming out clean.

Now it's a little easier to move mid-position, but turning further towards either port or starboard lock, and it still binds up.

I thought about giving up and getting hydraulic, but it's expensive, and neither of the main brands have tested it on my motor (Suzi DT40C).