Rod holders turned out?

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My boat has 4 rod holders on the gunwales but for some reason they were all mounted pointing straight back. What I'm looking for are two rod holders where the tube is angled and the plate is turned so that the 3 screws are in the same location (no need to drill new holes) and the rod points outboard. The ones I have now are Perko and I didn't see anything on the Perko site but maybe someone knows of something?

Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You may not have the room for the angle under the gunnel.

You could turn the rod 90[SUP]o[/SUP] and accomplish the same thing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
As noted above, the don’t make right angles rod holders because of the space, or lack there of.

I use outrodders on the two holders closest to the bow. Followed by a pair of 30 degree (turned out) and a pair of straight backs

Make sure you use rod lanyards when fishing them. Seen more than one rod pulled from the holder sticking straight out the side

Last edited:

TBarCYa

You may not have the room for the angle under the gunnel.

You could turn the rod 90[SUP]o[/SUP] and accomplish the same thing.

They're stupid 3 screw holders so the best I could do is 120 degrees which is too much. 30-45 degrees would be perfect tho.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look around.

kayak-fishing-mounts-scotty-gimbal-mount-rod-holder-adapter-253-2.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My boat has 4 rod holders on the gunwales but for some reason they were all mounted pointing straight back. What I'm looking for are two rod holders where the tube is angled and the plate is turned so that the 3 screws are in the same location (no need to drill new holes) and the rod points outboard. The ones I have now are Perko and I didn't see anything on the Perko site but maybe someone knows of something?

Thanks.

They were probably mounted that way because if they stuck outboard they would hit the dock and / or people walking by when you were docked.

Regardless, my Stingray had Perko mounts, but they were not mounted directly to the fiberglass gunnels, but rather onto a teak block, which was mounted to the gunnel.

Remove the existing rod holders, buy some 1" teak and fit the teak to the deck using the existing holes. Then mount the rod holders to the teak anyway you want. The teak will even make it look classy.

.....here is the best pic I could come up with. The FishOn rod holder next to the Perko was an aftermarket add-on.

P6170043web.jpg

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
They're stupid 3 screw holders so the best I could do is 120 degrees which is too much. 30-45 degrees would be perfect tho.

Ayuh,..... So take the screws out, turn it to where you want, 'n drill fresh holes,......

You can always fill the old holes, if by chance they're exposed,.....

TBarCYa

Ayuh,..... So take the screws out, turn it to where you want, 'n drill fresh holes,......

The gunwale has a diamond pattern and would be impossible to fill the holes and have it look decent. The teak idea is definitely a good one. I also have those Fish On mounts that were on the boat when I got it but unfortunately they're mounted in a way that doesn't allow them to turn so they're useless.

mr 88

Commander
King Starboard makes a diamond pattern in various thickness's. That would be maintenance free vs the teak available in 3 different shades of white. Just removed all my teak on my gunwales and replaced it with King , looks 100 % better and covered every hole on the gunwales.,Isn't cheap but the small amount you need might run 20-30 [ I would guess.] There is a pattern in the way the diamonds face so you should call the order in ,not do it online, so it is cut the right way.The edges can be beveled-routed-sanded-rounded like wood so there is nothing sharp for fishing line to possibly catch on.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I also have those Fish On mounts that were on the boat when I got it but unfortunately they're mounted in a way that doesn't allow them to turn so they're useless.

They rotate 360 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically. Since there is no picture of how yours are mounted I can't offer advice.

However, the cheapest and easiest solution (if a FishOn will fit your rods) is to just buy some new mounts for them and put them where they swivel to meet your needs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you point your boat toward starfish in Cortez..... you drink at either the swordfish grill or the Cortez Kitchen, then bring fresh fish back from starfish in your cooler..... then you can mount the magna grill in the existing rod holders and cook up fresh fish....

or get the mount that GA posted.....right here on iBoats

TBarCYa

King Starboard makes a diamond pattern in various thickness's.

I'll look into that this weekend.

JimS123 said:
They rotate 360 degrees horizontally and 90 degrees vertically. Since there is no picture of how yours are mounted I can't offer advice.

It's really odd where they're mounted but it's also probably the only place they could go. The gunwale rises and the holders only go in one way but then they turn into the rise... I was looking for an extension but they only have 6" and since I want to use them for trolling I don't think I'd trust a 6" extension to be strong enough.

Scott Danforth said:
if you point your boat toward starfish in Cortez..... you drink at either the swordfish grill or the Cortez Kitchen, then bring fresh fish back from starfish in your cooler..... then you can mount the magna grill in the existing rod holders and cook up fresh fish....

We were in Cortez for the Fishing Festival a couple weekends ago and ate at the Cortez Kitchen. Food was excellent!

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the kitchen and Swordfish owned by the same people. Food is excellent.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It's really odd where they're mounted but it's also probably the only place they could go. The gunwale rises and the holders only go in one way but then they turn into the rise... I was looking for an extension but they only have 6" and since I want to use them for trolling I don't think I'd trust a 6" extension to be strong enough.
im confused at what your trying to do.

TBarCYa

The original question is looking for a flush mount rod holder where the base plate (top) is screwed in the same direction (uses same holes) as the existing rod holders that point straight towards the stern but where they aim the rod outboard 30-45 degrees.

Regarding what you quoted, the Fish On rod holders that are currently mounted on my boat are useless because their location does not allow the rod holder to be turned once it's inserted into the mount. This makes the holders useless so I then mentioned looking for a 3" extension to move the holder above the gunwale so it will turn and can be aimed appropriately because I believe that for trolling large plugs the 6" extension will not be strong enough.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The original question is looking for a flush mount rod holder where the base plate (top) is screwed in the same direction (uses same holes) as the existing rod holders that point straight towards the stern but where they aim the rod outboard 30-45 degrees.

Regarding what you quoted, the Fish On rod holders that are currently mounted on my boat are useless because their location does not allow the rod holder to be turned once it's inserted into the mount. This makes the holders useless so I then mentioned looking for a 3" extension to move the holder above the gunwale so it will turn and can be aimed appropriately because I believe that for trolling large plugs the 6" extension will not be strong enough.

I didn't say anything about . I wouldn't trust putting #10 spinning tackle rods in fish-on rod holders let alone #30 and #50 trolling rods.

I have the Grady OEM version of the Lee's rod holders on my gunnels and transom. The pair closest to the transom on the gunnels are straight back. The next pair (closer to bow) is the same holder, simply rotated 20-30 degrees outward before being screwed in.

The holders closest to the bow are straight (0 degree holders) and I use "outrodders" to fish the rods at 90 degrees. The rod holders on the transom are 0 degrees as well. They do double duty as mounts for the downriggers and kite clusters

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My last 4 boats had FishOns. One had them on rail mounts and 2 were on flush mounts attached to the side decks.

The very first one didn't have room for regular mounts, so I side mounted them and then added a 6" extension to make them more usable.

We trolled for musky with them for 8 or 10 years with the extensions. Typically a 7 foot pole with a double jointed Pikie Minnow at 1.9 mph. Never had a problem.

Also, these mounts have a rotating sleeve that firmly holds the rod in place. Never saw the need for a lanyard.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
PS - why don't you post a picture of what you have now? Its easier to design solutions when the issue is more visual.