Struggling to find livewell drain tube that fits

Slabguy

Cadet
I have a 2009 G3 1756 aluminum boat. It didn't have a livewell drain tube with it when I bought it and I can't seem to locate one that fits. It has a threaded connection that 3/4" PVC threads almost fit but not quite. The threads are a little smaller and look more course than 3/4" pipe threads. Any ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• photo308454.jpg
    photo308454.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Most thru hull type marine plumbing connections are NPS (straight) connections

Slabguy

Cadet
I've tried 2 different G3 dealers. Neither have come up with anything. Not sure if they can't find it or if they're just being lazy since it's such a small item

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Have you actually tried a standard metal pipe into it? Some times the PVC threads are not quite the same sizes as NPT (National Pipe Thread) pipe threads. Maybe the molds are getting old and worn when they are made.

Another idea, if the drain you are working with is metal, heat the PVC pipe up with a heat gun or something suitable to that, and thread it in when hot. The PVC threads will conform to the drain threads and when it cools you have a perfect fit. I've actually done that and it worked really good. JMHO

Bondo

Staff member
The threads are a little smaller and look more course than 3/4" pipe threads. Any ideas?

Ayuh,..... Sounds like a standard garden hose threaded connection,...

fishrdan

Admiral
That drain probably had a "stand pipe" in it, so now you know the term to search for.

My 2001 Crestliner ivewell has a threaded stand pipe, and it's a very coarse thread, something like 4 or 6 threads per inch. I tried a quick google search, but didn't find anything

Slabguy

Cadet
Still nothing. It’s not garden hose threads. It’s a little smaller than that. I have tried metal npt threads and they are a little too big. Also the through hull fitting is plastic so I can’t really do the heating up pvc threads idea. Still on the hunt.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Google search was easy. T-H Marine. Got them on E-Bay and Amazon. Both threaded and push-in connection. Mine is a push-in with an O-ring to seal it off.

First you need to measure the ID of the fitting and get the appropriate size. If yours is an oddball, buy a piece of thickwall PVC pipe just larger than the opening and file the outside until it fits snugly. Homemade is sometimes just as good (and a heck of a lot cheaper).

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
LW drains/ thru the hull fitting are cheap and most LW fittings for gravity drains are way larger than 3/4", mine are all 1-1/8" drains. I'd replace the fitting with something standard for less than 5 bucks and have barbed fittings with clamp that will drain better.

fishrdan

Admiral
That threaded standpipe fitting may have been discontinued long ago. The one in my boat leaks a bit most of the time, difficult to get it to seal tight 100%, so I could see why it's been difficult to find it. Not a huge issue for most people as the LW can be easily topped off. It's a hassle for me as I run ice/water in my livewell, and topping it off melts the ice.

Wished I had replaced the LW drain fitting to use an O-ring standpipe when I rebuilt my boat, but I didn't know it leaked then.

MRS

Commander
Dose it look like this one?

Attachments

• photo308728.jpg
    photo308728.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 0

Slabguy

Cadet
MRS, I believe that is what it should look like. I don't have a standpipe but that is what I'm looking for. Close to 3/4" threads. I emailed T-H Marine per Jims suggestion and they only offer them in 1-1/8" and 1-1/2" threads. I can't find 3/4" anywhere.

MRS

Commander
MRS, I believe that is what it should look like. I don't have a standpipe but that is what I'm looking for. Close to 3/4" threads. I emailed T-H Marine per Jims suggestion and they only offer them in 1-1/8" and 1-1/2" threads. I can't find 3/4" anywhere.

The photo is from my suntracker pontoon boat (2019) maybe if you have a bass pro shop by you could check them out.
Probably have them there or at there service center. Or if you just want to plug it these might work on the pontoon it drains right out the bottom so when using one as a ice chest for fish I just leave open and drains right out into the water.
Hope this helps you out.

Attachments

• photo308747.jpg
    photo308747.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 0

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I only use the 3 livewells in my StarCraft as ice chests or storage. I know how live wells are designed to be used but throwing fish that is to be consumed into a live well with a water temp of 70F plus becomes a dead well. Putting fish in hot water is the worse thing you can do to the meat. Covering them with ice however keeps them fresh. If tourney fishing or using them to revive large stressed fish, well that's different. It seems everyone I know that has them is always having problems with live wells.

Slabguy

Cadet
The main reason I want mine to be usable as a livewell is for keeping live bait in there for hours at a time. It is set up with an aerator so I feel like I can keep it fresh enough for live bait. A standard boat drain plug will fit in the hole to plug it off.

MRS

Commander
Yup only use mine for bait fish also add a little ice to the water every now and then works ok.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The main reason I want mine to be usable as a livewell is for keeping live bait in there for hours at a time. It is set up with an aerator so I feel like I can keep it fresh enough for live bait. A standard boat drain plug will fit in the hole to plug it off.

Just remember, unless you have a working over-flow drain in your live well, plugging the typical bottom drain off and using the aerator system (the fresh water spray bar type) you will fill up the live-well to over-flow.

Slabguy

Cadet
Just remember, unless you have a working over-flow drain in your live well, plugging the typical bottom drain off and using the aerator system (the fresh water spray bar type) you will fill up the live-well to over-flow.

That's why I'm needing this drain standpipe.