Shifter

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello to all. I have a 1989 Baja islander 190 3.0 mercruiser. It had the original shifter on there that is in the picture. The question I have is can I put another one on there that’s different or does it have to be exactly the same that I’m taking off. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• photo308312.jpg
    photo308312.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 0

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
You can put on a different throttle control handle. Need to make sure the cable ends will work, or replace the ends on your current cables to fit new handle. I am sure there are a few posts on here regarding the removal and replacement of shift/throttle controls. May need to adjust cables from motor to handle to get the shifting where it should be. But the short answer is yes, it can be switched, and no, you don't need the exact same handle as a replacement.

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can put on a different throttle control handle. Need to make sure the cable ends will work, or replace the ends on your current cables to fit new handle. I am sure there are a few posts on here regarding the removal and replacement of shift/throttle controls. May need to adjust cables from motor to handle to get the shifting where it should be. But the short answer is yes, it can be switched, and no, you don't need the exact same handle as a replacement.

Thanks for the quick response. I’ve had it off before to lube my cables. I think now it’s time to just replace the cables and the shifter. The shifter has been a problem for a bit and is cracked now. A new one would also be smoother and better for my wife to learn how to trailer it lol

harringtondav

Commander
Spend some time on Google looking for boat shifter controls. Look for a complete assembly with cables, and compatible with your drive. Based on your info it looks like an Alpha 1. You'll be lucky if you can find what you want for <$300. But with a 30 yr old boat, it may be time to take the plunge.

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Spend some time on Google looking for boat shifter controls. Look for a complete assembly with cables, and compatible with your drive. Based on your info it looks like an Alpha 1. You'll be lucky if you can find what you want for <$300. But with a 30 yr old boat, it may be time to take the plunge.

Yeah I’ve been browsing and they are all around .the $300 range. Oh well it is what it is. Part of being a boat owner. I’m going to go ahead and replace it because just like I said it will give my wife some time to practice this upcoming summer because we only plan on having it one more summer before upgrading to a newer boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, Mercruisers are about the most popular sterndrives here in the USA. They should be multiple choices of aftermarket controls, both new and used.

Heck, Mercury outboard controls would probably work.

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven’t looked yet but it’s going to take me a couple days to be able to look. Just wondering if anyone knows off hand how many pins are in the connector of the original shifter. The shifter I’m looking at is. 3 pin. If I have something different could I get a adapter. Thanks

ahicks

Captain
Those 3 pins are likely for the tilt and trim. Not that important in the grand scheme of things. Many of those type controls (concealed mount) have a separate panel/switch mounted in the dash for that purpose. Sure, having the tilt mounted in the handle is nice and convenient, but it's not critical.

Hard for me to justify paying the long dollar for a new shifter. I would look into replacing worn parts and getting the original working as it should.

New cables, and the assurance they've been properly installed and adjusted, would be on my priority list as well.

studders

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So a little help if someone could. I really didn’t pay attention when I took all this apart but which cable is the shift cable. The shorter cable or the longer cable.

ahicks

Captain
Flip the engine cover up and move the carb linkage while looking at the other ends of the cables. The one that moves is the carb cable.

There's really no other way of identifying them.