Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

What is this knob beneath my Bayliner's steering wheel?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this knob beneath my Bayliner's steering wheel?

I cannot seem to find any manuals or diagrams for my steering wheel or an explanation of what the knob beneath the wheel does. I have loosened it until it feels like it will unthread and fall out but I honestly don't want to mess with it any further than that.
    Does anyboday know and/or have a link to a manual or other info? It is on a 1996 Bayliner Ciera 2655. Rack and Pinion Steering by Teleflex it says above the black housing pictured.
    Adjustment of some kind beneath Teleflex wheel

Looks like a tension knob to firm up or lessen the amount of effort to turn the steering wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by MTboatguy View Post
      Looks like a tension knob to firm up or lessen the amount of effort to turn the steering wheel.
      I should mention that it feels like it threads in and out like a bolt would feel. It is either tight or loose and doesn't seem to affect anything.

Comment

Tilt steering? Can you pull it toward the stern?

Comment

That wheel doesn't look like it tilts. Its a steering tension knob. On a boat that old its probably stripped or broken.
          2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
          2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
          2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
          1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
          1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
          1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
          69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by Goodman98155 View Post

I should mention that it feels like it threads in and out like a bolt would feel. It is either tight or loose and doesn't seem to affect anything.
            It may still be one, there were some around back then, they had a pad on top of the threaded housing made out of leather and other materials that would tighten down and still function, just with more friction on the steering hub. Most of them wore out due to being in a wet environment.

Comment

That is steering tension knob. Probably stripped as the others said. It “should” adjust tension on the wheel. Use mine all he time... set a course heading and lock he wheel with the knob.
              1985 Bayliner 2450 Ciera Sunbridge
              Volvo Penta AQ225d, 280 outdrive
              Restore/Refurbish ongoing......

link to my thread: https://forums.iboats.com/showthread...468790&page=12

Comment

Thanks all- it does seem like it would thread in against the shaft to 'tension' the steering. Perhaps I will try to really torque it in and see if I notice a difference.

Comment

That's what it is 100%, ok 99%. My StarCraft has a spot for an Allen key to tighten the tension. Reminds me I need to tighten mine. Another thing for the boat's "need to do." list. The list is never ending.
                  Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Now I just need to figure out how to calibrate/adjust the dang wheel. The wheel itself is 90 degrees to starboard when the outdrive is dead-straight. Since there is an 'up' to this wheel, it makes me crazy. Can't find documentation on it anywhere. I was hoping the knob had something to do with it.

Comment

Center the drive and then remove the wheel with a wheel puller. Turn it to your liking and then put it back on. If that isn't satisfactory, install a rudder position indicator on the center cap and ignore the wheel. If that isn't satisfactory replace the wheel with a Destroyer Wheel with multiple spokes and you won't know the difference.
                      2019 SeaRay SPX 190 OB & Mercury 150 4-Stroke & Merc 5.0 Kicker
                      2017 Boston Whaler 150 Montauk & Mercury 60 ELPT Command Thrust & Merc 3.5 Kicker
                      2015 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                      1964 Sea Nymph 14R & 1970 Evinrude Sportwin 9.5
                      1960 Mulray 100 Dinghy, equipped with Beaver Oars
                      1952 Lyman 15' Mid Steer & Evinrude Big Twin 25
                      69 Outboards: 1919-2019, representing 11 manufacturers
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Member ACBS, LBOA, AOMCI

Comment

Originally posted by JimS123 View Post
                        Center the drive and then remove the wheel with a wheel puller. Turn it to your liking and then put it back on. If that isn't satisfactory, install a rudder position indicator on the center cap and ignore the wheel. If that isn't satisfactory replace the wheel with a Destroyer Wheel with multiple spokes and you won't know the difference.
                        In the few photos of wheel removal I have found, I got the impression that the keyway on the shaft would require the wheel to be mounted in one position, but perhaps there are splines for the key for some other method of locking it to the shaft that would allow me to position it arbitrarily.

I did buy a rudder position indicator and suppose I will just settle for that if I can't adjust the wheel.

Comment

Working...
                        X