Outboards in or out of the water when morning long term

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Any know for a fact if its better to have your outboards in or out of the water when mooring in salt water long term like the majority of there life. the unknowing logical side of my brain tells me that down would be best, less exposure to oxygen in at least some of the outdrive but thats just some spinning of the gears inside my head.

The question comes from a dive trip Im on, one of the boats right here at my condo has his twins OB tilted up out of the water not something Ive seen that often. So the question came to mind. I also wonder if there are any adverse affects of having your OB tilted all the way up that long, if some of the fluids migrate away from places they should be and into places they shouldn’t so its now a two part questiion.

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Unless the lower unit is treated with anti fouling paint you will want to keep it out of the water to avoid barnacles and other marine growth.

tpenfield

Staff member
Up and out of the water . . . that is what outboards are for.

Google "Galvanic corrosion" . . . it will happen with the outdrive in the water, unless it has substantial anode protection, more typical of I/O outdrives than outboards.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Really no good reason to have it down in the water. Tilt it up, it is fine. The marine growth even in freshwater can be pretty ugly after a season.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
Absolutely up. I have never never had an expensive collection of metal in my hand and thought "Hmmmm, I should let this stuff soak in salt water and let small animals grow on it"

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Up and out. Goes for freshwater as well. Green algae and Zebra mussels make a mess and can plug your intakes, make a mess of the prop(s) and can plug exhaust. The only negative is if someone runs into you prop damage can happen. Happened to me once when my 80 something year old slip neighbour hit my prop. The gouge on his hull proved it, he denied it. His solid 50 something yr old son payed for a new prop.

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
An outboard is designed to be tilted up and out of the water. So there should be no problem with any serious fluid migration issues.

I bought my first I/O two years ago and was ignorant of the need to keep the outdrive out of the water. Most I/O's cannot be tilted up out of the water. Three mechanics looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned that I might do that long term. One, that was an agent for an owner selling her boat, refused to recommend me as a buyer without a plan to protect it. Talk about a strong protest! Of course, I am in the warm waters of Florida where the corrosion is far worse.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
about a year ago, there was a pic on the internet of a go-fast center console with tripple yamaha 350's all three had the lower units rotted off as the boat sat moored so long without use the lowers were dissolved by galvanic corrosion.

tilt those babies up.

ahicks

Captain
Not that I am completely against the plan, but 2 thoughts regarding the down side of tilting up when not in use that might temper your decision on how YOU want to proceed.

First, tilting an outboard all the way up pretty much prevents water from totally draining in quite a few areas internally, thus potentially creating areas of severe pitting over the years.

Second, if you have a nice prop, you're pretty much advertising that fact to potential undesirables.

Better plan here, at least for salt water, is dry storage or trailering.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
First, tilting an outboard all the way up pretty much prevents water from totally draining in quite a few areas internally, thus potentially creating areas of severe pitting over the years.

If you stored them down in the water, wouldn't those areas be exposed to even greater quantities of water? (Not being argumentative, just trying to understand.)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Second, if you have a nice prop, you're pretty much advertising that fact to potential undesirables.

Better plan here, at least for salt water, is dry storage or trailering.
if you have a nice prop, you also have a nice lock on it.
Removing a prop from a boat in a slip is far more difficult and obvious (can’t hide) than a trailered or racked boat. Far more props disappear in parking lots than slips.

A couple of years back, thieves took four lower units in one night from a “secured” trailer storage area.

I am am much more comfortable leaving the boat in a slip overnight than a parking lot.

Rack storage defeats the purpose of leaving a boat in the slip...convenience and availability.

ahicks

Captain
If you stored them down in the water, wouldn't those areas be exposed to even greater quantities of water? (Not being argumentative, just trying to understand.)

Outboard power heads drain nearly completely when vertical, or tucked under just slightly

Yes, no doubt the lower unit will be submerged when left down. Taken to the extreme, long term storage w/poor maintenance, I'd MUCH rather be looking at the potential for replacing a lower unit than a power head.

Do as you like guys. I was just tossing out a couple of thoughts....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
about a year ago, there was a pic on the internet of a go-fast center console with tripple yamaha 350's all three had the lower units rotted off as the boat sat moored so long without use the lowers were dissolved by galvanic corrosion.

tilt those babies up.

I remember that Scott. It was nasty.

As far as leaving water in the engine when tilted up a few cranks on the ignition will drain all the water out. If someone goes to the trouble to get in the water and remove my SS prop all the power to them. The security camera that happens to be fake as well as neighbours make good deterrents as does the owner's old Dog barking every time anything came close to the place at night. That included rabbits, otters, Beavers and little Mink. The owner trapped the fur bearing critters, legally.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Outboard power heads drain nearly completely when vertical, or tucked under just slightly
What are you draining?
The lower unit is sealed as is the motor cover.

Not sure why I care if the heads drain completely except when the air temps go below 28 degree.

Below that, the LU stays in the water to prevent freezing any moisture trapped in the lower unit oil. Water temps rarely if every go below 36 degrees in our area.

ahicks

Captain
What are you draining?
The lower unit is sealed as is the motor cover.

Not sure why I care if the heads drain completely except when the air temps go below 28 degree.

Below that, the LU stays in the water to prevent freezing any moisture trapped in the lower unit oil. Water temps rarely if every go below 36 degrees in our area.

Yes, thinking salt water operation. Things change a bit in that environment.
Like most of us, pretty familiar with how cold water can get prior to freezing, but thanks for the reminder.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
if you have a nice prop, you also have a nice lock on it.
Removing a prop from a boat in a slip is far more difficult and obvious (can’t hide) than a trailered or racked boat. Far more props disappear in parking lots than slips.

A couple of years back, thieves took four lower units in one night from a “secured” trailer storage area.

I am am much more comfortable leaving the boat in a slip overnight than a parking lot.

Rack storage defeats the purpose of leaving a boat in the slip...convenience and availability.

We live on a fresh water river, with docks and/or lifts every 150 feet or so. One Summer Saturday, my Dad and I were trolling real slow downriver and noted a dozen or so I/Os up on lifts (to keep their outdrives free from marine growth and corrosion) without outdrives! The next day there was a story in the paper about thieves that found a windfall. They took every accessible outdrive overnight in a 2 mile stretch.

Boy I wish my mechanic had that much energy.....LOL.

Last year we vacationed on a dock that apparently had some electric leaking into the water. After only a week my zincs looked awful and my SS prop was all corroded.

Keep the motor up. If its going to freeze, put the boat on a trailer and drop the motor down.

Neverquit

Seaman
Late season fishing/camping on the river I had water freeze up in the motor with it tilted up overnight.
Was the first time I ever heard my overheat horn go off.
Shut it off and left the motor down after 10 minutes all was well.
That night left the motor down and no problems the next morning.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the input Im still a year or two out from my new boat sitting in salt water for any length of time but the question was on my mind so its answered. Ive bin in a IO for most of my life not a lot of experience with OB as a whole.

MRS

Commander
I have always had a I\O now own a outboard will never go back to a I\O again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, the correct answer is: " Tilt the gearcase all the way up. If you cannot tilt the entire gearcase out of the water, then tilt it down to allow the anodes to do their job".

Also, if you leave the motor down for a minute or two, after it has been turned off, all the water will drain out of the powerhead. That will lessen the corrosion potential.