Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Private Messages

We are aware of a current issue where your messages screen does not properly load and we are working on a fix.

In the interim, you can access you messages by navigating to this link: https://forums.iboats.com/privatemessage/notification

Apologies for the inconvenience.
See more
See less

Outboards in or out of the water when morning long term

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outboards in or out of the water when morning long term

Any know for a fact if its better to have your outboards in or out of the water when mooring in salt water long term like the majority of there life. the unknowing logical side of my brain tells me that down would be best, less exposure to oxygen in at least some of the outdrive but thats just some spinning of the gears inside my head.

The question comes from a dive trip Im on, one of the boats right here at my condo has his twins OB tilted up out of the water not something Ive seen that often. So the question came to mind. I also wonder if there are any adverse affects of having your OB tilted all the way up that long, if some of the fluids migrate away from places they should be and into places they shouldn’t so its now a two part questiion.

Unless the lower unit is treated with anti fouling paint you will want to keep it out of the water to avoid barnacles and other marine growth.
    2008 Maxum 1800MX - 'Lottie-Da'
    1994 Proline 2510 - 'DrifteR ' <- project - ON THE WATER!
    1971 Concorde 27' - 'Little Angel ' <- sold

Comment

Up and out of the water . . . that is what outboards are for.

Google "Galvanic corrosion" . . . it will happen with the outdrive in the water, unless it has substantial anode protection, more typical of I/O outdrives than outboards.
      Best regards, Ted . . . . Cape Cod, MA

Current Boats: Formula 330 Sun Sport, O'Day Mariner Sail #3224, Sunfish
      Past Boats: Catalina 22 Sail #10531, Formula 242 Sun Sport
      Twin Mercruiser 7.4 LX MPI (0F802036, 039), Bravo 3's (0F806198, 199), Mercury 7.5 HP (1969), Johnson 4.5 HP (1980)

My Boating Web Pages: http://www.tpenfield.com

Comment

Really no good reason to have it down in the water. Tilt it up, it is fine. The marine growth even in freshwater can be pretty ugly after a season.

Comment

Absolutely up. I have never never had an expensive collection of metal in my hand and thought "Hmmmm, I should let this stuff soak in salt water and let small animals grow on it"

Comment

Up and out. Goes for freshwater as well. Green algae and Zebra mussels make a mess and can plug your intakes, make a mess of the prop(s) and can plug exhaust. The only negative is if someone runs into you prop damage can happen. Happened to me once when my 80 something year old slip neighbour hit my prop. The gouge on his hull proved it, he denied it. His solid 50 something yr old son payed for a new prop.
            Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

An outboard is designed to be tilted up and out of the water. So there should be no problem with any serious fluid migration issues.

I bought my first I/O two years ago and was ignorant of the need to keep the outdrive out of the water. Most I/O's cannot be tilted up out of the water. Three mechanics looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned that I might do that long term. One, that was an agent for an owner selling her boat, refused to recommend me as a buyer without a plan to protect it. Talk about a strong protest! Of course, I am in the warm waters of Florida where the corrosion is far worse.
              Mariah Shabah Z202 5.7L Mercruiser B3
              Jensen Marine 1972 Cal 21 cabin sloop
              Retired EE of 45 years

Comment

about a year ago, there was a pic on the internet of a go-fast center console with tripple yamaha 350's all three had the lower units rotted off as the boat sat moored so long without use the lowers were dissolved by galvanic corrosion.

tilt those babies up.
                Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Not that I am completely against the plan, but 2 thoughts regarding the down side of tilting up when not in use that might temper your decision on how YOU want to proceed.

First, tilting an outboard all the way up pretty much prevents water from totally draining in quite a few areas internally, thus potentially creating areas of severe pitting over the years.

Second, if you have a nice prop, you're pretty much advertising that fact to potential undesirables.

Better plan here, at least for salt water, is dry storage or trailering.

Comment

Originally posted by ahicks View Post
                    First, tilting an outboard all the way up pretty much prevents water from totally draining in quite a few areas internally, thus potentially creating areas of severe pitting over the years.

If you stored them down in the water, wouldn't those areas be exposed to even greater quantities of water? (Not being argumentative, just trying to understand.)
                    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Second, if you have a nice prop, you're pretty much advertising that fact to potential undesirables.

Better plan here, at least for salt water, is dry storage or trailering.
                      if you have a nice prop, you also have a nice lock on it.
                      Removing a prop from a boat in a slip is far more difficult and obvious (can’t hide) than a trailered or racked boat. Far more props disappear in parking lots than slips.

A couple of years back, thieves took four lower units in one night from a “secured” trailer storage area.

I am am much more comfortable leaving the boat in a slip overnight than a parking lot.

Rack storage defeats the purpose of leaving a boat in the slip...convenience and availability.

Comment

Originally posted by JASinIL2006 View Post

If you stored them down in the water, wouldn't those areas be exposed to even greater quantities of water? (Not being argumentative, just trying to understand.)
                        Outboard power heads drain nearly completely when vertical, or tucked under just slightly

Yes, no doubt the lower unit will be submerged when left down. Taken to the extreme, long term storage w/poor maintenance, I'd MUCH rather be looking at the potential for replacing a lower unit than a power head.

Do as you like guys. I was just tossing out a couple of thoughts....

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
                          about a year ago, there was a pic on the internet of a go-fast center console with tripple yamaha 350's all three had the lower units rotted off as the boat sat moored so long without use the lowers were dissolved by galvanic corrosion.

tilt those babies up.
                          I remember that Scott. It was nasty.

As far as leaving water in the engine when tilted up a few cranks on the ignition will drain all the water out. If someone goes to the trouble to get in the water and remove my SS prop all the power to them. The security camera that happens to be fake as well as neighbours make good deterrents as does the owner's old Dog barking every time anything came close to the place at night. That included rabbits, otters, Beavers and little Mink. The owner trapped the fur bearing critters, legally.
                          Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Outboard power heads drain nearly completely when vertical, or tucked under just slightly
                            What are you draining?
                            The lower unit is sealed as is the motor cover.

Not sure why I care if the heads drain completely except when the air temps go below 28 degree.

Below that, the LU stays in the water to prevent freezing any moisture trapped in the lower unit oil. Water temps rarely if every go below 36 degrees in our area.

Comment

I think he's referring to some salt water remaining in the coolant passages of the powerhead if it's tilted up.
                              1994 Seaswirl Sypder 188 5.0 Cobra EFI

Comment

Working...
                              X