looking for 30-32 foot crusier

apex808

Seaman Apprentice
Hello I'm looking to purchase a 1994-97 300 sundancer with 5.7 alpha drives. Just wondering if anyone finds it weird or not practical having the galley port side right when you walk down the stairs on the 300 and seems less counter space also. I've never owned a sea ray before this would be my first. Any other things to look out for on these year models any info is helpful thanks. I boat mostly lake Eire lake st. clair area. Also im open to an other suggestions on boat models my only preferences are to keep it around 30-32 foot w10'+ beam, and I/O power and most likely from 1994-2000 to keep it within my budget.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
keep in mind your looking at boats that are coming up on their end of life based on the design life. cruisers in that range have a life expectancy of 20-25 years, so expect to have some major issues crop up.

apex808

Seaman Apprentice
yes I know this unfortunately cant afford to spend 250k on a new one haha.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You also can not afford a money pit

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Don't fret about which side or even where the galley is,
just get on the thing and use it,

l'm going to a wooden boat show on the weekend, full of of old wooden tall ships that still sail all over the planet,
haven't got the heart...or the balls ...to tell them their boats are at the end of their life.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If you're looking at buying an older SeaRay I'd pose the question over at club SeaRay. They'll tell you what to look for. Structural rot is something you want to watch out for & don't buy something that old without a full survey.

http://www.clubsearay.com/index.php

I love this guy, he did a review of my 250 Sundancer and other larger SeaRays. Good, informative reading.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Once you get into boats that old, I think you'd be better served shopping for something with much higher initial build quality, even if it means going older. IMO an 80's vintage Tiara Open or Express Cruiser with inboard power would be a much better buy than a 90s Sea Ray with stern drives. Much less stuff to fail with inboards and vastly superior attention to detail in the bones of the Tiara. The inboards are much easier to maintain when the boat is kept in a slip too.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Don't fret about which side or even where the galley is,
just get on the thing and use it,

l'm going to a wooden boat show on the weekend, full of of old wooden tall ships that still sail all over the planet,
haven't got the heart...or the balls ...to tell them their boats are at the end of their life.

old wooden boats covered in pine tar sitting in salt water do not have an end of life like todays boats. the mere design required constant maintenance.

a fiberglass boat on the other hand does. plastic and rubber components have a finite life, adhesives as well. and while you can sink and re-float an old wooden boat numerous times, GRP boats tend to trap water where water was never intended to be which causes most of the problems.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
All boats require constant maintenance, regardless of age or location, fresh or salt,
you know that,
that's why this forum is so popular lol

I'm not sure that everyone needs to break out in a sweat or have a heart attack coz their boat is approaching 20 yrs design life,

of the 4 boats we currently own none is anywhere near 20 yrs old,
one is approaching 50 yrs,

how old is your boat again?
just pullin' ya chain

anywho, the last thing l 'd consider in a 30ft boat is the amount...or lack thereof...of counter space,

and l do have a 30 ft 10 ft beam 5.7 ( 2 ) powered cruiser though its not an express sports cruiser

Scott Danforth

Staff member
how old is your boat again?

31 years old, currently going thru a complete restoration including a new motor, new interior, and new gelcoat. Windows will be re-glazed, a radar arch is being added, a new custom dash and instruments. 3 years prior the drive was rebuilt. 7 years ago, a motor refresh, transom replacement, and stringer work. 9 years ago, the drive was re-sealed and the interior was redone.

On its 3rd trailer

My boat is on its 2nd or third life

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Personally. I think the term "design life" doesn't really apply here.

A few years ago I came upon one of my previous fiberglass boats at a lawn sale and it looked just like the day I bought it brand new 40 years earlier. The second owner garage kept it just like I did and it still looked like new. A glance at the hour meter showed that the boat was well used. It showed up again, after sitting outside uncovered year round in Buffalo, NY weather. Now at 43 years old it was completely trashed.

Maybe a better term would be "typical life". The way "typical" dumb axx boaters treat their boats, that's about all they are good for. I've seen 5 year old boats that were worthless, and 50 year old boats that were pristine.

Our "family boat" is 66 years old and is all original - never been "restored" or had any parts replaced.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
For those with a Champagne taste and Beer budget the last thing I would be concerned with is where the galley is. If like most working folks on a budget for a cruiser never leave the slip anyway. I'm on Erie as well and can say without a doubt 80% of the cruisers out here never venture far from the Marina's. More like 90%. I said in another thread I know a guy moored near us that doesn't even have an engine!!!

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Just got rid of a Larson 330 cabrio that was a great boat (needed to down size), on plane at 17mph,twin 5.7 volvo penta with dou props and to me (a dyi guy) much easy to work on than a merc. probably in your price range and plenty of room. Just saying take a look and don't get hung up on one boat brand. Oh and spend the money on a surveyor, then decide what you can live with and what you can repair your self

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
[Just saying take a look and don't get hung up on one boat brand.QUOTE]

I always say buy based on style, layout & amenities........may be more than one boat you like. The name on the side isn't important.Then find one worth buying or CONDITION, CONDITION,CONDITION.......well duh!:facepalm:

It's a toy, if there isn't some emotion in the purchase your not doing it right!;)