mooring cover lining repair replacement

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

my Chaparral came with the factory canvas set up including the mooring cover, all of it labeled Taylor Made. The back third of the cover, which comes into contact with the sunpad, has a white lining sewn onto it. the lining is like a fabric that has a thin plastic coating, and this coating is what ends up laying on the sunpad. I'm guessing the purpose is to prevent any black from the black canvas cover bleeding into the white vinyl of the sunpad. after 10 years, this lining has basically fallen apart in a bunch of flakes and chunks.

any one else experience this and address or repair it? the vinyl on this boat is pristine so I should get this fixed.

I can of course try Taylor Made, but don't know if that would be successful. I'm not in an area where there are a lot of boat canvas repair places.

thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Taylor Made is in the business of selling covers. They are not set up to make repairs. If it was a warranty claim, they would probably replace it.

In my own personal experience, they would not even deal with me directly on a custom part. I had to order from the boat manufacturer, and even then I couldn't get it direct, I had to have the boat selling dealer order it for me.

Taylor's current web site doesn't even list Chaparal as an OEM custom cover.

I would think you need to find a repair shop that is set up for canvas repairs. If no local maybe try online and send it away.

For new canvas, try greatlakesboattop.com. They make replacements. Check to see if they do Chaps.

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
In the mean time, a dry beach towel or old bed sheet will create a barrier from the cover to the vinyl and help catch the pieces falling off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe that you would have to buy that part thru a Chaparral dealer as Taylor would sell to the dealer, however not to the individual.. or hit up your local canvas shop as indicated.

harringtondav

Commander
I believe a good mooring cover is the best place to spend your money if your boat lives outdoors. No matter how expensive, it's your best protection against expensive structural rot.

I bought an aftermarket "custom" cover a few years ago in lieu of paying the local custom shop a couple hundred $$ more. The new cover leaks like a sieve. I can see through the fabric from the inside. A $60 gallon of 303 dried it up...for one year. My boat goes back to that shop before it goes on the lift this year. The other cover will make a great tarp to collect leaves.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I've had a similar problem with the aft corners of a thick soft insert sewn into my mooring cover. They became thread worn and separated. I simple took it into a auto/marine upholstery shop and they sewed in new pieces. Not expensive at all, less than 30 bucks for the 2 corners.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I believe a good mooring cover is the best place to spend your money if your boat lives outdoors. No matter how expensive, it's your best protection against expensive structural rot.

I bought an aftermarket "custom" cover a few years ago in lieu of paying the local custom shop a couple hundred $$ more. The new cover leaks like a sieve. I can see through the fabric from the inside. A $60 gallon of 303 dried it up...for one year. My boat goes back to that shop before it goes on the lift this year. The other cover will make a great tarp to collect leaves.

The best money one can invest for their boat is a good mooring cover. It drives me bonkers driving by places and see what was once a nice boat uncovered all year longIf they aren't rotten they are the luckiest boat owner in the World. Like a pals 22 foot StarCraft. It gets covered in Nov and uncovered in April. Believe it or not the floor under the vinyl floor is solid. This is the 1st year I didn't shrink wrap because of a number of reasons and it was really bothering me. The corner of my cover blew off when we had that cpld and windy weather last week. Monday I went out to cover it right and was amazed to see the 25 year old cover protected the floor, dry as a bone. The rear casting deck was soaked though and water got into the battery well, at least not the floor.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Taylor covers are good, though their "semi - custom" covers don't fit as well as I'd like. My 3 recent covers have been from Carver, and they are awesome. Good fit and totally waterproof.

Actually, the "fit" is only half of the issue. The crux is what material they use. A semi-custom made with Sunbrella is simply better than a custom cover made at a local shop using some cheaper material. Do you want it to look nice?, or protect the boat?

My new SeaRay came with a factory Sunbrella cover. The label inside said it was made by Taylor. So far its the second best cover I had in the last 50 years. The "best" was made by my Dad using marine canvas. He learned how to do it in the early 1940's, when on sabbatical in the Pacific with the US Navy.

JackBronson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One challenge is finding out exactly what the material is called. If I could source it online and have it sewn in by a shop, I'd be good. The cover is in good to very good shape. More than good enough that I should continue using it.
I was incorrect: the "plastic" thin lining is against the underside of the canvas, not against the vinyl. the soft side is against the vinyl.

Attachments

• photo307829.jpg
    photo307829.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Any good canvas shop can identify fabric