Harbercraft 14’ Classic; thoughts?

DIYboater14

Cadet
So,

Now I have the specs on a 2003 Harbercraft 14’ Classic, but no idea if it is a good boat. There isn’t much online so I’m hoping someone here has some experience with them. Looks like she weighs in at around 160 lbs, 710 lbs capacity and will take a 15hp tiller, 14.0’ long with a 61” beam and SS transom.

Just looking to see how they hold up, how much chop they can handle on lakes (will be local smaller lakes and a couple bigger like Pigeon and Lesser Slave) and most of all stability. I’d love a solid Lund 14 footer but hard to come by used and new is $$$.

All thoughtd are appreciated.

DIYboater14

Cadet
Well, clearly Harbercraft, being a discontinued unit for quite a while is leaving this question to be a tough one to answer. I then propose this:

Option 1: Buy the used Harbercraft, get a yesr warranty on it (through) dealer and buy a new outboard. Rated at 15Hp max.

Optikn 2: Buy a new 14’ aluminum with a max rating of 20Hp, get a used 2 stroke. New unit probs be a Crestliner 60” beam at about 205 lbs. vs the Harbercraft 165lbs.

both options will run me about $5k; which would you chose? And why?

DIYboater14

Cadet
Well, clearly Harbercraft, being a discontinued unit for quite a while is leaving this question to be a tough one to answer. I then propose this:

Option 1: Buy the used Harbercraft, get a yesr warranty on it (through) dealer and buy a new outboard. Rated at 15Hp max.

Optikn 2: Buy a new 14’ aluminum with a max rating of 20Hp, get a used 2 stroke. New unit probs be a Crestliner 60” beam at about 205 lbs. vs the Harbercraft 165lbs.

both options will run me about $5k; which would you chose? And why?

DIYboater14

Cadet
Fair option, definately the more affordable. The kicker is the used Harbercraft has a max Hp of 15 and I’d like something that can take a little more HP so I can get up to 25mph with myself and a buddy. Guess I could wait for a used14’ to appear that can take the HP but they seem to be sparse right now. Trying real hard to avoid a leaky boat and/or a used outboard that is on death’s door step. I may go nuts lol.

briangcc

Commander
IF it were me, I'd be buying new - new boat and new motor. One word - warranty. As my admiral put it we like warranties.

The flip side is that when you hit something, and you will, you will dent your new shiney toy that cost you $$$$. Do that with used and you probably won't feel as bad as if it were new. But you may be looking at a leaky boat with a motor that has not been well taken care of.

Saying all that....14' is good for a calm lake, no chop whatsoever. Get into even the smallest of waves and the person in front is getting a bath. Been there, done that, bought my Bayliner due to it!

DIYboater14

Cadet
Fair option, definately the more affordable. The kicker is the used Harbercraft has a max Hp of 15 and I’d like something that can take a little more HP so I can get up to 25mph with myself and a buddy. Guess I could wait for a used14’ to appear that can take the HP but they seem to be sparse right now. Trying real hard to avoid a leaky boat and/or a used outboard that is on death’s door step. I loose my mind trying to havw my cake and eat it too!