Rock salt on fiberglass sailboat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Irregardless, the point is salt is bad. It also raises blood pressure.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know we see it all the time and it drives me F'N CRAZY! The word is just preventive.

From the Grammerist: "Preventive is the original adjective corresponding to prevent, but preventative has gained ground and is now a common variant."

It's gained ground thru misuse, just like "intensive purposes". Please help it NOT become a common variant. Thanks.

Live with it, blackburb. I just grit my teeth and move on because it's like Don Quixote tilting at windmills. As long as we understand the intent of the post, grammar and word misuse are unimportant.

Live has more important things to worry about - Like helping fireblade brine and pickle his sailboat with rock salt that last August had a foot of standing water in the cabin needing removal. No response to that thread either as far as an outcome.

Kickback, have a beer and a cold cheeseberder - Everybody makes an occasional mistake.

tpenfield

Staff member
Over the holidays I cooked a prime rib roast using a rock salt crust. I had never tried cooking it that way before, but I must admit is came out great, and my sailboat was unharmed in the process. :)

I added a bit of flour water and some spices to the salt crust, mixing it to a slurry before caking it over the roast and putting it in the oven. Once out of the oven the rock salt crust was hard as an actual rock and came off the roast as a single piece. I am considering using the same recipe as a keel guard for beaching my smaller boats. :)

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Over the holidays I cooked a prime rib roast using a rock salt crust. I had never tried cooking it that way before, but I must admit is came out great, and my sailboat was unharmed in the process. :)

I added a bit of flour water and some spices to the salt crust, mixing it to a slurry before caking it over the roast and putting it in the oven. Once out of the oven the rock salt crust was hard as an actual rock and came off the roast as a single piece. I am considering using the same recipe as a keel guard for beaching my smaller boats. :)

Okay, do you think your latest rock salt crust recipe would work good for tabbing bulkheads in place? You may be on to something there... :laugh:

tpenfield

Staff member
Okay, do you think your latest rock salt crust recipe would work good for tabbing bulkheads in place? You may be on to something there... :laugh:

Might be an adhesion problem, but if you need something that is fairly impact resistant, I would recommend it :D

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There are innumerable offenses, but the ones that bother me most are needlessly ADDING additional syllables to existing, perfectly good words making them MORE difficult both to say and spell. Preventative and orientated being two of the most grievous, common examples. I prefer making things smplr ;). Join in my crusade!

How about pacific in place of specific? Drives me nuts. Also irregardless, no such word, I know that because a plant mamager I had corrected me in front of my crew. He was my bosses, bosses, bosses, boss. Man I was way down on the totem pole. That I didn't depreciate. I guess it got back to him because he emailed me an oppology. I say PM even though I don't like using annograms. Looks like the Grammar/Spelling Police has arrived. Or is have arrived?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Not necessarily. The boat is built for saltwater use. Everything is either fiberglass, plastic or stainless to resist corrosion and designed with the expectation to be hosed down at the end of the day. Everything at the helm is either waterproof or behind clear splash covers.

If I'm in a slip it gets sprayed down with raw water (salt) to remove the day's accumulations (blood, guts, dirt, salt, beer, etc.). The rods and reels are the only things guaranteed a freshwater rinse after use.

Trailering is a bit different. Most marinas I frequent have freshwater wash down stations. Pull the boat out of the water and head over to the wash down station. Quick rinse (a flush if no line) and down the road you go.

The only time the boat gets a "bath" is before long periods (a week or more) of storage or going out in public. Can't take mama out to a nice waterfront restaurant in a dirty boat....lol

Here in Ontario it is law that you hose down the hull after every time you pull the boat. It's an on your honour thing as there may or may not be a washdown area away from the ramp. Invasive species such as Goby's and Zebra Mussels is a big fresh water problem here in On. I have heard of The Ministry of Natural Resources following a boat and watch if it was hosed down, it's a huge fine. To think about it, I have never done that more than a few times. Usually the boat goes back into the same lake.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Irregardless, the point is salt is bad. It also raises blood pressure.

You are busted Jim. Irregardless, no such word, In Canada at least. In the USA as well, I got a squiggly red line under irregardless. Oh my, I need to get a life.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No one listens!

Closed until either fireblade returns to answer some questions or Thanksgiving when we can use this for turkey brining instructions - Whichever comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.