2019 Winterization Test for Mid-west/Northern Central USA

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dave, i always borrowed my buddies pit cart tank with regulator for a case of beer. Enough air to blow out two small cottages

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
When my grandfather built our cabin, he had the plumbers set up the copper pipes to self drain in the fall. We shut off the well pump, close the valve with a long rod like you would use in the city hookups. Open an underground drain pit valve, open all faucets, including the cold and hot water spicets outside, and a valve on top of the water tank. Drains itself, no issues. We dump a gallon of -100 blue rv stuff in the toilet, and split another gallon in the shower, bathroom sink, and kitchen sink. No problems since 1969. Well, I lied, my cousin did not follow instructions, printed out by me, burnt up the water heater and broke a pipe. Leave all valves open! And for gods sake step one is turn off the water heater!.

My cousin has a place setup like yours where everything is pitched to drain out when needed. His setup takes it a little bit further in that he just throws a switch that controls a solenoid valve which allows it to all drain. I thought that was cool!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
It may have been already stated but what is the difference between -1F or -51F. Our furnaces were cooled with 2@2500 gallons of water per minute. At 0C or 31F we went on Winter Olympic alerts. The difference in my mind is it takes longer to freeze at 0C or 32F than -40C or -40F ( the only time both temps are the same BTW)

As far as winterizing seasonal homes after 40 plus years doing it I can tell you just when you think you have it down to a science something will freeze. When you think all the lead, galv, copper or Pex or garden hoses (I've seen it) runs downhill you may be surprised to find in the spring it doesn't. Kids jumping up and down on their bunkbeds, adults jumping up and down on their beds, the weekend Hootnanny and dance in the cottage. Then suddenly one nice Spring day you have a burst line.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Same. I've printed up no-fail, step by step instructions for the Wife's family place, but no takers. Over a dozen users, one maintainer. Me. Everyone else thinks it's a hotel. I go there twice a year. Winterize. Recommission in the spring. When Ma in law goes toes up, I'm out.

You're the best my Man. You make me howl sometimes. I remember working 3 @ 14.5 hour shifts on the weekend and get a call from my wife from the cottage that I had better stop at home or the restaurant and pick up some more Beer and maybe a Vodka for our uninvited guests (all my friends by the way) as we are running low. I told her to tell those hooligans and their dates that when I get there and there isn't 6 Ales and enough Smirnoff's for us to have a few Vodka Tonics, they had better go find some. And if anyone is still there when I get there they after working some 44 hrs in 3 days they had better go back from whence they came or they will be found drowned in the morning. I didn't even drive to the cottage that night I was so beat. So I met my wife at home and had a nice dinner, take out, after she kicked them to the curb. Some cottage antics you never forget. That all stopped after I took my pension, reno'd the shack and started living there full time. I love guests and they are welcome anytime they are "invited."

Sorry all inc. Mods this should have been a PM.

Last edited: