2019 Winterization Test for Mid-west/Northern Central USA

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks like boat owners in those areas of the US are going to get a good test of their (or their boat shop's) winterization procedures over the next few days. -20 F to -30 F in the Dakotas and Great Lakes areas, wind chills in the -40 to -50 range. :eek: :faint2:

Should be a good test of how well the boats/engines were winterized.

Lancer76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Assuming boats are stored outdoors in in unheated spaces, why would this stretch of extreme, sub zero cold be different than a stretch of sub freezing weather with respect to winerization efficacy? Is there more than water/ice to be concerned with?

I'd like to know because that icy wind is heading our way.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Even a 1/4 cup of water can break things. You had to make positively sure all the water was out. Now is to late. The rest just takes care of itself.

tpenfield

Staff member
Assuming boats are stored outdoors in in unheated spaces, why would this stretch of extreme, sub zero cold be different than a stretch of sub freezing weather with respect to winterization efficacy? Is there more than water/ice to be concerned with?

I'd like to know because that icy wind is heading our way.

Mostly due to partial or improper winterization using the Pink ( - 50 F ) antifreeze, not fully draining, etc. For those keeping AF in their engines, probably would need the -75 F or -100 F stuff.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There will be another batch of busted blocks in the south too.
south-busted-blocks.jpg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wind chill does not matter on metal parts.------Frozen is frozen.--

harringtondav

Commander
My boat engine has survived these temps with complete block draining and leaving it dry. I'm more concerned with my upholstery. I helped my pal pull his engine last winter in my garage. He knelt on his sundeck/engine lid and "crack". Oops, add another $300 repair.

I remove my bow and rear bench cushions and pedestal seats and store them inside. But my sundeck/seat back lid had a solid block of ice inside it's lower edge when I pulled my battery earlier. Apparently it caught some rain last fall and never drained. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping it doesn't split open before spring.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Mostly due to partial or improper winterization using the Pink ( - 50 F ) antifreeze, not fully draining, etc. For those keeping AF in their engines, probably would need the -75 F or -100 F stuff.

If all the water was truly out, why would the -50 stuff not be OK if the air temperature only got to -30 outside?

(yes I know it gets slushy, but if its a quality product the burst temp is -50)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If all the water was truly out, why would the -50 stuff not be OK if the air temperature only got to -30 outside?

(yes I know it gets slushy, but if its a quality product the burst temp is -50)

I would say that if there were any water in there at all, it will mix with the AF, lowering it's protection rated temperature.

harringtondav

Commander
I would say that if there were any water in there at all, it will mix with the AF, lowering it's protection rated temperature.

I did the A/F thing for the first few years I owned our boat. Then I stopped. Reading "air doesn't freeze" numerous times on this forum makes the most sense. I've got a simple '96 4.3 with no single point drains. Poking the block drains, and working the hoses has never failed me.

Lancer76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay. I (thankfully) don't have antifreeze in the block (and Lord willing no water either). I can see how AF filled blocks may succumb to the deep freeze temps that are forecasted.

Storing a boat outdoors every year in Maine brings a certain level of excitement with it:lalala:. So far, so good. I think I've got the water removal trick down, but, come spring, you find out for sure.

For those in the midwest - stay warm and keep covered up!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I do both. I know, I'm probably wasting my money.
I warm the boat up with the muffs, switch to the pink stuff (I made a wye hose with valves connected to a bucket), run a few gallons of it, shut it down and drain everything. I pour the pink stuff into the front engine hoses. Watch it come out the stern drive. Watch it come out my open engine drains. I pull the thermostat, I can usually see that there is already pink stuff in the intake, but I pour more in there anyway.
I leave my drain plugs out. Put them in a ziplock bag with my garboard plug and tape the bag to the steering wheel. I use electrical tape backwards so the steering wheel doesn't get sticky.
The boat just fits in my attached but unheated garage. So no worry about rain, ice or snow.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's quite true. If you got water left and you add AF you might only have protection to -40, or -30, or -20. But if you have water left and you DON"T add AF you surely will have protection at a freekin +32....!!

Or, maybe there will be only enough water to not be a problem.

As a famous movie actor once said..."Are you feelin' lucky?"

Bondo

Staff member
I did the A/F thing for the first few years I owned our boat. Then I stopped. Reading "air doesn't freeze" numerous times on this forum makes the most sense. I've got a simple '96 4.3 with no single point drains. Poking the block drains, and working the hoses has never failed me.

Ayuh,..... I just stopped in here, to relay that comment again,.....

I know my motors are Drained,.....

'n no matter how cold,..... Air Don't Freeze,...... 'n even if it did, it don't expand,......

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
That's quite true. If you got water left and you add AF you might only have protection to -40, or -30, or -20. But if you have water left and you DON"T add AF you surely will have protection at a freekin +32....!!

Or, maybe there will be only enough water to not be a problem.

As a famous movie actor once said..."Are you feelin' lucky?"

Yeah, that is my thinking. The extra insurance gives me peace of mind. If there's any water at all left in there, in some crevasse or corner, the AF will help to possibly prevent solid freezing.
I would NEVER fill with AF without draining!

roffey

Commander
I have seen -47 on my truck temp display, IFY that's -52.6 Fahrenheit. Nothing work properly in that temp. and anything will crack or break if bumped, stepped on or sat on, lol. Pick up a wrench and it feels like its in fire. I just stay in side and have a nice warm toddy.... speaking of, on my way out side to fix my broken snow blower… but its not -52...

harringtondav

Commander
... speaking of, on my way out side to fix my broken snow blower… but its not -52...

Yea, funny how they only fail when it's too cold to fix them. I got a new auger drive belt and chute deflector cable installed Tues. It was a balmy 7 Deg F.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
the extra insurance gives me peace of mind. If there's any water at all left in there, in some crevasse or corner, the AF will help to possibly prevent solid freezing.

Pull the drains and make sure they are not plugged. Any water left in there sitting in a crevasse or corner will not cause damage no matter how hard it freezes. I'm in the "air doesn't freeze" camp. But to each their own. That was the temp. today on my way to work, tomorrow will be a bit colder!.......LOL

Glad none of my I/O boats have the blocks filled w/RV anti-freeze.

4957aed0-05b7-4707-92a2-dc53ccd2c024-original.jpg

Last edited: