Should I do it?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
3 degrees out and running out of things to do in the garage.

I have a 2018 Yamaha F50 mounted to a CMC tilt trim unit, was running a 50 Evinrude with no TT.

I still have it on for the 6'' set back, I can run the top hole of the engine and still not blow out or cavitate.

I was going to pull the trim pump out of the CMC and bolt the 2 halve together to save 20lbs as the new engine has TT then saw I can pull 4 bolts and remove the entire assembly.

If you have never seen a CMC TT there are 4 "L" brackets with a giant bolt for the hinge point and there is a plate on top of the engine side, or back half, and bottom of the transom side, or front half, that ties to the top and bottom of the pump assembly to the unit..

I am thinking I am going to pull the whole thing out, cross bars and all.

I will of coarse through bolt the 2 parts together in two spots, the front half is bolted to the boat, the back half is bolted to the engine and the 2 halves are bolted to each other in 4 spots, two top back, two bottom front

This will pull probably 25 lbs of dead weight off the boat at the transom.

I don't see a down side to this and a huge up in losing the dead weight

SO, should I just pull the pump unit and leave the cross bars or pull it all?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
3 degrees?...time to make bird houses and bird feeders until it warms up....

Seriously, do you need the setback? I had a jackplate on my speedboat, and never liked the look of it, and never thought the performance was upgraded. It did pull the transom down a bit more with the setback. I simply mounted the motor on the transom, and the highest I thought it would work.

Just my 2ct.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I think I'd just pull the cmc trim and tilt off and either save it for future use if I thought I'd ever need it,..

Or,..Put it on c-list and use the money to buy more tackle,...

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If you are running out of things to do I will fly you up here, room and board. I have plenty of things to do for ya'. And it's warmer here, 30F.

As for knocking off 25 lbs of dead weight, great if you really don't need tilt and trim. I however always wished I had it when we had a small 14'er with a 25HP. The need for speed rules. Get at it, before you know it it's time to get the boat wet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think I'd just pull the cmc trim and tilt off and either save it for future use if I thought I'd ever need it,..

Or,..Put it on c-list and use the money to buy more tackle,...

:thumb: Working CMC's go for 3-400 bucks.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
After thinking some more, with 2- 1/2'' stainless bolts in each side I am pretty sure it is bullet proof.

For every inch you run a setback you can come up 1/2'' or something like that.

I know I am all the way up and still not blowing out or cavitating so it must do something.