Figuring out where to store boat come spring near the GTA

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to get a boat once again after going a painful year without one. I live in the GTA (Ontario Canada) and am wondering what those who live in the city or near by do with their boats for storage and where they tend to boat.

I'm from a bit east of the GTA so if anyone has suggestions on where I could store it on the east side that would be preferable since I do plan to trailer it to see family fairly often.

For those who don't live in the GTA but live in big cities, what do you do with your boats for storage if you do not own your own home?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Hi there neighbour we are on Lake Erie just south of Hamilton. If you are trailering from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) you are within 100 kilometers of many small as well as huge lakes and rivers, like Lake Ontario, The Trent Canal System and Lake Simcoe. If you are going to put it in a marina within the GTA you will need deep pockets. Dry land storage is available but it as well costs big time depending how close you are to the main city of T.O. You could hit a different body of water every week and never see 10% of what's available to you.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I live in Pennsylvania. Kind of rural. But there are many places that will rent you a parking spot for boats, RV's, etc. Places like U-Haul, Hertz and storage unit rental places. I always see boats and RV's parked in these places. There's a place where the guy owns a parking lot. He does exactly that. He's full of boats RV's etc. Or maybe an auto repair or tire place will rent you a spot. Can't hurt to ask.
I once rented a garage from a guy at his home. It was a two car garage and I rented one side for my hot rod. Look for advertisements for people renting their garage.

SkaterRace

Hi there neighbour we are on Lake Erie just south of Hamilton. If you are trailering from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) you are within 100 kilometers of many small as well as huge lakes and rivers, like Lake Ontario, The Trent Canal System and Lake Simcoe. If you are going to put it in a marina within the GTA you will need deep pockets. Dry land storage is available but it as well costs big time depending how close you are to the main city of T.O. You could hit a different body of water every week and never see 10% of what's available to you.

Putting it in the water in the GTA is a bit too rich for my liking. I'd rather spend the money on a better boat or on more gas (likely what I'll do).

As for lots of options, it feels like so little to me considering I used to live smack dab in the middle of the Kawartha's where I had literally 6 lakes all within a 20 minute drive of me. Lake Ontario is a bit big for the kind of boat I am getting (18-19' bowrider) so I'm not too sure I will be going there much, I was thinking more likely out near Port Hope and then a bit north of there or worst case going up to Barrie.

SkaterRace

I live in Pennsylvania. Kind of rural. But there are many places that will rent you a parking spot for boats, RV's, etc. Places like U-Haul, Hertz and storage unit rental places. I always see boats and RV's parked in these places. There's a place where the guy owns a parking lot. He does exactly that. He's full of boats RV's etc. Or maybe an auto repair or tire place will rent you a spot. Can't hurt to ask.
I once rented a garage from a guy at his home. It was a two car garage and I rented one side for my hot rod. Look for advertisements for people renting their garage.

I've seen some places around here that rent spots for boats just they all seem expensive ($250-500 a month) for a gravel lot with no protection or even a gate.

Looking for people renting a garage is a good idea, I'll check around and see what I find for that come spring when I buy. I'm guessing most garages around here will not work since they are built for small cars and even my Explorer won't fit in the one at the place I am renting now.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
I've seen some places around here that rent spots for boats just they all seem expensive ($250-500 a month) for a gravel lot with no protection or even a gate.

Crikey...that is expensive
it ain't Canada and certainly not even a big city, more of a one horse and two pony joint but just for comparsion purposes my son was paying $100 ( till the end of this month ) month for similar gravel yard but with monitored CCTV security, casual water and power for washing etc and electronic entry
23 ft boat, which is now in my backyard

Old Ironmaker

Captain
They are asking $1500.00 cdn aound here for indoor storage a year. What you want to make sure of is anywhere you do decide to store it that someone doesn't block you in. That is a problem I have seen. Another problem with storing remotely is charging batteries or even washing it down which is law here in Ontario every time you put her in and out. .

SkaterRace

They are asking $1500.00 Cdn around here for indoor storage a year. What you want to make sure of is anywhere you do decide to store it that someone doesn't block you in. That is a problem I have seen. Another problem with storing remotely is charging batteries or even washing it down which is law here in Ontario every time you put her in and out. .

Getting blocked in would definitely suck and ruin the day. $1500 is not a bad price, whereabouts is that? Within driving distance of the GTA?

As for the electrical and water, I've never thought of that one before, always had boats at my place where I had everything you could ever need. I'll make sure to look into that one and see what is around.

SkaterRace

Crikey...that is expensive
it ain't Canada and certainly not even a big city, more of a one horse and two pony joint but just for comparsion purposes my son was paying $100 ( till the end of this month ) month for similar gravel yard but with monitored CCTV security, casual water and power for washing etc and electronic entry
23 ft boat, which is now in my backyard

That price would be great, not sure I will find that around here. Part of the issue is almost everything near the GTA is stupidly expensive