Is a swim platform advisable

Lancer76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a I/O boat - 1976 23' chris craft lancer. It came from the factory without a swim platform, but it has a folding transom ladder so getting on the boat from the water is doable. I have been considering installing a wood swim platform but not sure I want to mess with the original style that much. What are other's experiences with a platform? And would you advise in favor of the platform or against it.

I use the boat for pleasure, not a lot of fishing. Both ocean and lakes. I trailer the boat, so it's mostly on the hard. I do have skiers and wake boarders. Up to now, I've use a tube as a platform for putting on skis and boards, but the tube does take up a lot of room.

I look forward to reading your feedback.

harringtondav

Commander
It's very doable. I've seen homemade platforms made from teak, poly plank and other materials that can be shaped to fit a boat's contour. Stainless or aluminum mounting and supports are a must. Also careful placement of the mounting structure in the boat's transom is critical.

Lancer76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is more of DIY platform than I am able or willing to take on, but it is REALLY nice. I am thinking I would try to find a wood platform off a used boat that may require some clean up. Or I could possibly build one of teak. Is teak the only wood that is advisable for a platform or would something like mahogany be okay?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
teak is generally used as it is naturally water proof, and generally light weight

Mahogany could be used

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
We have two boats with swim platforms,
23ft Huntsman ( foldup ) and a 30 ft Mariner fb ( fixed )

the fb also has a foldup ladder and transom door, which alone makes it much, much easier to bring divers and their gear aboard, cray pots and swimmers,

we've also used the platform to tie inflatable tenders when cruising to nearby islands ( coastal )

both platforms are teak and just get a coat of paint every couple of years,

the fixed one is supported by three stainless brackets as well as through the hull,

a good addition in my book

might add, these are aussie boats

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
It is VERY handy
flip it on side,
lift it onto the board and tie off,

sit on cruising speeds and it's fine
go WOT and water will find it's way into the hull so we just cruise when it's on the back,

roffey

Commander
Just my 2 cents, I have a swim platform (factory that came with the boat). We take the kids to the beach and the boat is used as a platform for jumping and diving. We sometime just drift on a hot summers day and jump off the back, its all about memories and of coerce what you want, lol. As mentioned above anything is doable just depends on budget.

I googled your boat, beautiful boat, love the looks. It looks like a nice open water day boat?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As someone said, its a matter of preference. Iv'e had boats with only a transom ladder, a platform with ladder, and a full width built-in transom platform wit integral ladder. All are good, but I prefer them in the order of listing.

If you need to do an add-on, go with the following item:

https://www.iboats.com/shop/garelic...m-telescoping-ladder-boat-swim-platforms.html

That particular model is low maintenance. Teak is a second choice because of aesthetics. If you go that route, don't paint it, but apply teak oil twice a season. Mahogany is nice on an antique classic, but its not appropriate for a daily driver. Regardless, if you do an add-on, you need to have access on the other side of the transom to put the nuts on the bolts.

wrench 3

Commander
Our last boat (a '74) came without a swim platform but had a fold down boarding ladder. I made up a fiberglass platform and cut down the boarding ladder to mount onto the top of the platform. It made getting over the transom a lot easier.
I also added a two step drop down ladder to the platform. I think you would find it difficult to get out of the water without one.

fishrdan

Admiral
Check craigslist, I see them pop up every so often. Just have to make sure it will fit your boat, or able to be modified to fit your boat. Someone parting out a boat would be preferable, so you can get all the hardware.

Lancer76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been looking in CL and have found a few wood platforms that look really nice. That's why I posted the question. While I like the lower maintenance option of a fiberglass or composite deck, I think the wood look would be more fitting for this boat. That said, if you google the overnighter version of this boat, it came with what I think is a pretty cool fibergalss transom platform.

The CO safety brochure is a good one. Never heard of 'teak surfing' but that would be a definite safety concern. No catalytic converters on my 351 Windsor (not to mention the proximity of the prop).

Thanks everyone.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never try to wake surf with an I/O. one fall and your chum

jkust

Rear Admiral
Previous boat had no swim platform option ordered with it, current boat does. Can't express how much we love the swim platform. So much valuable real estate.

southkogs

Staff member
My last boat had one added on. The PO had found a teak deck at the local salvage place and fit it on the stern of the boat. Current boat just has a small boarding platform on the side, and while it works - I miss the big deck for sure.

Lancer76

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I googled your boat, beautiful boat, love the looks. It looks like a nice open water day boat?

Thank you! I really like this boat. The real 24 degree deep V is great in chop and the cockpit is gigantic compared to my previous boats. It bow steers a bit, but I am getting better at that with the help of the trim tabs and learning not to over steer. Also, with the full windshield and an attached bimini, I don't get wet in weather (from rain or from spray). Could never say that with my former center console.

Cheers!

Maclin

Admiral
I like the full width Teak platforms with separate brackets for an I/O. You can remove the Teak platform from the brackets easily to get to the outdrive when needed. I had a Cuddy with that, the most used part of that boat was the platform.

72fj40

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We use our swim platform all the time. Some folks use the ladder, but most of us use the volvo aq280 outdrive because it's flat on top. I've seen a few pics of other 23ft Lancers with a similar platform as the Overnighter. I think they are rare though.

Attachments

• photo310622.jpg
    photo310622.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0