Thundercraft 340 express

Winzie

Recruit
New member in search of information... I am looking at a 1991 Thundercraft 340 Express and can’t find a hole lot of info. Wondering if anyone here has any boat/hull specs (ex. Cruising speed, Weight etc.) and/or history on the boats or company?

has 454s and bravos

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
With these flash in the pan boating companies, look at boats a little differently. For example, in your case, you have a 34' (probably) express cruiser that is almost 30 years old (end of expected life unless really well taken care of). You also have (2) 454 engines and (2) bravo drives. That is a lot of items to look at and verify are in decent shape before purchasing this boat. The reputation of the company is non-existent. You have mercs on board which means parts are readily available if needed which is a plus, but many more factors come into play here, such as age of motors, drives, condition, condition, and condition of everything! You are buying a 30 year old 34 foot fiberglass cruiser with twin 454s and bravos, make doesn't matter at this point.

Save yourself the headache of all of the research and work involved and hire a surveyor to look at the boat. I am assuming that if you have the means to own and operate a 34 foot boat with twin 454s on it (fuel consumption in a year is going to be more than what a lot of people spend on their boats alone), that a surveyor is within the budget.

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
I believe there were two different “Thundercraft” and “ThunderCraft” boat companies in the 80s and 90s. Neither exists any longer. “ThunderCraft” boats were all low priced runabout types of dubious quality. My parent had one for about a year. They were built about as cheap as you can imagine. Images of the 340 you’re looking at appear to come from the other “Thundercraft” company. They’re not around anymore either. That wouldn’t stop me from buying one. What would stop me is knowing that unless that boat has been pampered from day one, it could turn into a money pit.

Maclin

Admiral
Jim Bryant was part of one of those, can't tell you which one, good or bad, or how much control he had. He went on to start Bryant in early 90's so he could control manufacturing processes better.

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1989 Thundercraft (notice the one word) Magnum 220 4.3 OMC.

To my knowledge Thundercraft boats were a Canadian manufacturer (Thunder Craft was located in Tennessee) and were in the middle (maybe upper-middle) spectrum of quality for boats of this era, certainly better than Bayliners and Thompsons but not a nice as Four Winns, Regal or Sea Ray. Further, I believe they were bought up by Doral (a Quebec manufacturer).

Think of a Chevrolet vs Cadillac of the era.

For the money they were a quality built boat with alot of Sea Ray influence in both design (hull) and parts used (cleats, window trim, etc.).

I have absolutely no interest in selling mine.

As in any boat, condition is the prime consideration.

mr 88

Commander
Most boats in that size range and powered by 454s cruise at about 21-24 mph and get close to 1 + - 1/10 mpg depending on wave ,wind , current,props and weight your carrying.

Winzie

Recruit
I did purchase the boat ... good price will need a good clean up and some love but a good solid unit.
The previous owner actually had most of an advertising article from 1989 for the boat listing a bunch of specs

length (with pulpit) - 36ft 10in
Beam - 12ft
Draft - 2ft 8 inches
Deadrise - 18deg at transom
Fuel - 200 gal
Water - 50 gal
Base price $160 000

Time to plane (3xaverage) : 5.6 sec
Cruising speed 28mph / 3000 rpm
Top speed 50mph

(454 MerCruisers with Bravo 2 stern drives 20x23 props)

mr 88

Commander
I highly doubt it will see 50 mph , maybe 40. When you dunk her please report back with a GPS speedo reading. Good luck !