Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

stunod

Seaman
Hi Everyone,<br /><br />I was thinking of buying a larger boat next year and need some advice about size.<br /><br />I have a 21 foot cuddy now and I go out 3-4 miles out in Long Island ,Ny I want to go out 10-20 miles next year in search of Sharks,Small Tuna,etc.. <br /><br />Question: What should be the smallest size boat for this type of trips?<br /><br />P.S<br /> In case of a storm, I want the right boat for the job.<br /><br />Thanks Guys,<br />Lou

lepper

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Safe size boat for offshore fishing..Help Please

in my experiecne some days it doesn't matter what size boat you have, You NEVER have a big enough boat...<br /><br />Over here on the west coast there are a lot of people that go out in there 19fters... for tuna.. 30-40 miles. On a nice day you can.... just hope the weather doesn't turn... But, I did see a nice 36ft aluminum boat for around 77k..... very nice.

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 22'cc and go 40 miles south of Montauk. But only when the weather is good and I monitor the weather throughout the day.<br />When weather is bad I do not go offshore. Know your, and your boats capabilities.<br />If your caught in a storm that means you were not paying attention to the forcast as well as you should. :eek:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Stunod.<br /><br />Being safe offshore is not all boat size. It is mostly a matter of operator alertness and skill.<br /><br />I used to go way out in a 18' Boston Whaler Outrage, but I wouldn't recommend it in an 18 footer unless it is a classic (pre-'90) Whaler.<br /><br />A top quality boat designed for offshore use in the 22-27 range will do the job if you stay alert to the weather and stay home when you should.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

eric fairbanks

Seaman Apprentice

Being a Lake Erie walleye man, I can not stress the importance of monitoring the weather enough. I consistantly go out 10-15 miles chasing walleyes in a 19ft boat and I see alot smaller boats out there. Boat size has little to do with it--skill and commen sense do! PS. Erie has sunk many a big ship!

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, it is not necessarily the size of the boat (to a point) but the skill and alertness of the operator. Here on the MS Gulf Coast sudden thunderstorms come up very fast, so we must be alert. However, I do not hesitate to take my 21 foot CC out as far as 20 miles; just have to be ready to run for it. Have a NOAA weather radio with you and pay attention to the sky.