Classic boat tops

Climber513

Seaman
Does anyone know where I could get a top for my boat. It is a 58 alumaglass runabout and I'd like to get the full top but can't find anything on it. Had a hard enough time trying to identify the boat .

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Are you looking for a convertible top that snaps to the windshield or a bimini top?

You can find a universal bimini in the iBoats store by using your boat measurements. Surprisingly as popular as convertible tops were/are, no one make replacements. Your best bet is to try a marine canvas/upholstery shop.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I'm really not finding any info at all on Alumaglass.

Care to share your links or info?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I believe the canvass tops that snap to the windshield were known as "Navy Tops". That might make your search a bit easier.

The top itself wasn't too hard to make from scratch, if you have the original aluminum pipe support hardware. A couple of pieces of Sunbrella stitched the long way and cut to shape and folded over and stitched.

A complete enclosure would be the Navy Top, side curtains (Plexiglas) and a rear section that snapped to the transom and both gunwales.

Those were pretty involved.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I never heard of a navy top. Old tops snapped to the windshield were called convertible tops. If it was free-standing it was a bimini. Side curtains were made out of eisenglass, and they were called side curtains. The back was called a stern curtain.

Plexiglass is a solid plastic that was used for windshields, or you could buy it in the hardware store to fix your screen door in your house.

Lots of different terminology. Google the words and find out, but don't rely on internet suggestions.

To answer the OP's original question, you got an old boat and parts are not available. Find a marine canvas dealer in your area and he can make you whatever you want.