Maintenance needed for an old boat?

tnwater

Cadet
I have a 2002 Four Winns horizon and the only maintenance I’ve done is change the oil and lower unit fluid. Well over the years a bunch of small things have stopped working. What kind of maintenance would you guys recommend if I took my boat in to have these small repairs done? Thanks for your help.
Also how do you find a good boat mechanic?
i

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Much of it depends on what engine you have, outboard, or i/o ?

What has stopped working?

After 17 years I would expect to do at least:
do a compression test
Fuel filter(s)
fuel lines
sparklugs
thermostat
water pump
replace bilge pump
check all wiring
remove - clean - - inspect, attach and tighten all wiring connections
replace batterie(s)
clean carbs and link n sync

if its an i/o, then there is another list that applies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your factory manual for what ever motor/drive you have will have a recommended list of things that get maintained or replaced every 50 hours

the factory manual is also what you need to turn your own wrenches.

tnwater

Cadet
Thanks for the help guys, the boat has a Volvo Penta I/O engine.
The list of things that need fixing is long not including the wear maintenance that needs to be done.
My wife and I talked about buying a new boat but if i could get our boat fixed up that would cost a lot less money.
The radio works but not the cd player, would like to get new radio with input for ipohone.
Depth finder doesn't work
speedometer input that hangs down in back of boat is broken
trailer has original tires on it, they are not worn too bad but are old.
strut on the back swim deck is broken
night running lights do not work.

any input on a good boat mechanic in the Memphis TN area?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
CD player, radio depthfinder, speedo and swim platform strut are easy repairs for the DIY, which will cost a lot for a professional to perform.

I would let the professionals work on the engine/outdrive and do the rest yourself, or hire some amateur to do it.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I've got an 02 I/O as well but has been taken care of nicely. So far the impeller on the bravo has been replace multiple times as preventative, a housing where several cooling hoses meet has been replaced, tune up per the maintenance schedule and I think that's it so far. Stereo doesn't count because of course the system got an upgrade to modern for blue tooth/subs, new helm and transom remotes, etc but that is by choice as the old stuff was fine just no streaming ability. Stuff is holding up very good. I know that in harsher climates, things don't always fare as good but generally, my experience in a cold, northern state with a very short boat season and a little bit of care is pretty standard.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Based on the VP maintenance chart, your bellows and impeller should have been replaced 6 times (year 3, and every 2 years after)

Belts 4 times (every 4 years)

Spark plugs 2-3 times

Fuel filter 16 times (every year)

Pitot tube pickup is under $8, and anyone that can pick up a screw driver without poking their eyes out can change it

depth finder is probably a bad transducer, however easy to fix...just like a radio

tnwater

Cadet
Based on the VP maintenance chart, your bellows and impeller should have been replaced 6 times (year 3, and every 2 years after)

Belts 4 times (every 4 years)

Spark plugs 2-3 times

Fuel filter 16 times (every year)

Pitot tube pickup is under $8, and anyone that can pick up a screw driver without poking their eyes out can change it

depth finder is probably a bad transducer, however easy to fix...just like a radio

oh wow! thanks for this, I really need to get in to a mechanic for the maintenance to be done.
should I take it back to the dealer? I've never had them work on it before

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there is nothing on that list that you as a boat owner could not do if you can follow the manual and simply bought $300 worth of parts and $130 worth of tools. a dealer will charge about $2k to do all that maintenance