Main motor up or down while trolling with kicker

Wayne2

Recruit
I am interested in the Pros and Cons of trolling using my 8 HP kicker with the main 90 HP Mercury out board motor off and down. They are attached for steering only. Question is regarding main motors shaft and prop drag, prop and gear rotation while motor is off. PS my son says I should raise the main prop out of the water while using the kicker because of:main motor drag and gear wear on it.
Greatly appreciate your reasons, suggestion and comments. Have a great new Year.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
I had the EZ Steer rod on my boat and with that I had to leave the main engine down. I really never thought about drag or gear wear but I can see how it might be a concern. You could always put the main engine in gear so the prop doesn't turn but that would most likely cause a lot more drag. If you can raise the main engine and still steer the kicker that probably would be the best.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have always left the main down and in neutral while trolling with the kicker, it gives you much better steering particularly if you have an E Z steer. Gear and bearing wear is the last thing I would worry about, nothing is under load, the prop freewheels,and all gears and bearings are immersed in oil.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I made a steering connection so it must be down. If your kicker doesn't need the main to steer, and you are in a weedy lake lift the engine once and a while to look for weeds and clean them off. The spinning of a prop is not in my opinion an issue. If you have ever driven behind a boat being towed that prop is spinning like mad and I wouldn't tow with the engine in gear.

TyeeMan

Master Chief Petty Officer
Absolutely zero problem with gear and bearing wear as there is no torque applied to them. On the contrary, think of the forces aft work when your engine is at full power getting the boat on plane, , or at WOT.

I like to keep my outdrive down UNTIL the wife stops passing attention and gets her line in the prop.

I have a bow mount telling motor. . .

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have had kickers and have done trolling since 1968. In the early years I had Rudes, and later Mercs. Back in the day there was no internet, so the only thing I could do to ask a question was to write a letter (pen and paper, stamps, ughhh) to the manufacturer's Engineering department and ask what to do.

OMC and Mercury recommend leaving the main down, in neutral, and let the prop spin. You don't really HAVE to do that, but if the motor is up, steering with the kicker will be compromised.

Wayne2

Recruit
Thanks a lot for your comments and ideas. You have given me both considerations and ideas I can play with. I have the Ez Steer system but because of its mounting method/positioning I have made myself a motors/rod connections so that I can easily attach and disconnect the rod while ON the boat. How practical this will be, time will tell. Have to wait until spring to test. Thanks everyone, best of the new year to you all.... Wayne

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The only time I would be concerned about the big motor being down is in shallow water

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Only one concern for me, we troll for Salmon here, it’s very common for them to swim under the boat making anything hanging low a target for fishing line that’s already stretched to its breaking point, having two props and skags to cut your line is double the trouble, some fish are played with your entire rod and reel in the water, so i most often put mine up its easier to get around that when that happens. Not necc the case when your catching fish that you can control.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
Keep it down when trolling. I do so because the big motor acts like a rudder. It’s like having duel rudders. The boat turns a little better when using the trolling motor with both lower units in the water.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It has to be down. You need the extra rudder to keep the boat steering correctly.

We have been trolling with downriggers for salmon for 25 years. In our case the main was an I/O, so up or down was a moot point.

Playing the fish without tangling both outdrives is an art. With 2 downriggers that amounts to FOUR things in the water to avoid.

In all those years I tangled exactly ONE time. And that was when four thirty five pounders all hit at the same time. The wife got one line, the 10 year old got the other, the third went unattended and I actually landed the 4th. All while the 6 year old professionally steered the boat.

Boy, those were the good old days...

(The lake Trout was a little guy and it was landed as a solo an hour before)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ontario Salmon.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	10694994

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I also say motor down, make sure the main motor steering wheel is pointing straight forward.

Wayne2

Recruit
Thanks too all, sorry but I though I had posted my Thanks. Happy boating

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On most motors you would use reverse to stop the propshaft from turning.