Repowered Bayliner Montego?

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at a project boat. 1978 Bayliner 3350 Montego. Been repowered with twin Nissan SD33T diesels. Original engines were probably 360 Crusaders with 250hp each. These SD33T's are rated at 100hp. The hull design is really nice similar to a Hatteras and were hand laid. I've been looking for a single screw diesel Trawler and ran across this one for $1000. I'm really only looking for a vessel that will sip fuel and cruise along at 7 to 8 knots. Any ideas how this boat will do with the drastic power reduction? My research shows the hull weighing about 12,500. Thanks

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Can't help you with that engine but can tell you once you are tired of maxing out at 8 nauts you will want to go 16, then 18 then max whatever it is. I guarantee that. Especially getting out of bad weather and seas. Sometimes there is a need for speed, like always. I'm not up on big vessels but if I recall there is a mi nimum HP for large vessels. There will be a big boat guy or gal along soon I'm sure.@ScottDanforth come in please, Scott?

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
What kinda' water are you on? I'd hate to get her stuck out in some waves, weather or wind and not have the power to fight it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If you want economy in a boat, get a canoe or sailboat

your burn rate on a diesel is about 0.333 # of fuel per HP per Hr. (Diesel Fuel weighs 6.943#/gal).

so at WOT, your consumption will be 66.6 # of fuel per hr, or 9.6 gallons per hour

you will be at WOT most of the time trying to get out of everyone's way, however I doubt the boat would get out of the hole. so the WOT speed may be 10 knots at best.

because it probably cant climb the hole, it will throw one heck of a wake, pi$$ing off everyone as you beat their boats against the docks.

now at idle, on a calm day, you probably can putt along at about 10# of fuel per hour at about 5 knots, or just over a gallon.

take it for a test cruise, I may be wrong, however I do not think you would be happy. That hull needs at least another 100hp to get up on plane (or really, really, really big trim tabs as in about 4' long)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
BTW, the SD-33 Marine motor is only rated at 93HP

a Pair of QSB 4T-250's would move the boat nicely

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
If you want economy in a boat, get a canoe or sailboat

your burn rate on a diesel is about 0.333 # of fuel per HP per Hr. (Diesel Fuel weighs 6.943#/gal).

so at WOT, your consumption will be 66.6 # of fuel per hr, or 9.6 gallons per hour

you will be at WOT most of the time trying to get out of everyone's way, however I doubt the boat would get out of the hole. so the WOT speed may be 10 knots at best.

because it probably cant climb the hole, it will throw one heck of a wake, pi$$ing off everyone as you beat their boats against the docks.

now at idle, on a calm day, you probably can putt along at about 10# of fuel per hour at about 5 knots, or just over a gallon.

take it for a test cruise, I may be wrong, however I do not think you would be happy. That hull needs at least another 100hp to get up on plane (or really, really, really big trim tabs as in about 4' long)
:eek:

That comment made me laugh out loud.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Dont Laugh, My Boss's '83 Sea Ray 34' has 4' long trim tabs to get that fat beast out of the hole faster with a pair of detroits.

Keyboardman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm also looking at a 34' Marine Trader that has a single 120hp Lehman and weighs 17,000. That boat putts along at like 8 knots and burns less than 2 gal per hr. I boat on the east coast ICW Wilmington area. Not a boat I'd take very far off shore.

roffey

Commander
You must have no where to go and all day to get there. You and I are polar opposites. I do like to putt around in my boat but there are time when I just want to go, case in mind is out running a storm. Everybody is different and has a different set of what makes their boat float, lol. Let us know what you decide on...

Last edited: