Mmsi number change

midnightrider1818

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. So I sold my last boat but kept my radio and I am wanting to put it in my new boat. Its s standard horizon. Question is though how do I update my mmsi number to my new boat. I believe I went through tow boat us but not sure. Anybody else here who has done this thanks

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since the MMSI stays with the boat, you would just have to change it in the radio. Depends on the radio. Some allow 1 change of MMSI others require you to have a marine electronics technician or have to send the radio to SH to clear it out.
I would contact your local marine electronics facility and ask them how much they charge. Should only take 15-30 mins max. Its not that difficult to do.
Just remember to disassociate yourself with your old MMSI.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Alldodge is correct and the mmsi stays with the radio not the boat.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
NO. The MMSI stays with the BOAT, not the radio. From the NAVCen website:
"MMSI Overview

Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) are nine digit numbers used by maritime digital selective calling (DSC), automatic identification systems (AIS) and certain other equipment to uniquely identify a ship or a coast radio station. MMSIs are regulated and managed internationally by the International Telecommunications Union in Geneva, Switzerland, just as radio call signs are regulated. The MMSI format and use is documented in Article 19 of the ITU Radio Regulations and ITU-R Recommendation M.585-6, available from the ITU."

It is used to identify a SHIP/BOAT NOT a radio. It gets programmed into the radio and AIS unit. Most of the time, the radio stays on the boat. The MMSI is supposed to stay with the boat for the life of it. If/when the boat is sold, the owner will need to dis-associate himself with the MMSI so the new owner can apply for it.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
From boatus website.This is what a friend just did when he sold his boat and kept the radio that I installed in his new boat. This is why I said the mmsi stays with the radio, he just updated his new boat information in boatus data base. If/when the new boat owners installs a new radio into your old boat all he needs to do is get a new mmsi for his new radio and program it and he's done.
https://www.boatus.com/MMSI/MMSI/FAQ.

I have sold my boat. What do I need to do?
The action you need to take depends on who has ownership of the radio(s) that were programmed with the MMSI number you obtained:
  • If you kept all the radios that had the MMSI number programmed into it, you can update your registration with the new boat information when you buy a new boat.
  • If all the radios that are programmed with the MMSI number have been given to the new owner, you must transfer the MMSI number to the new owner by logging into your MMSI account and selecting the “Transfer to New Owner” button.