Windshield help please

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1994 Smoker craft, open bow, aluminum hull. I have a very loose windshield on the passenger side of the boat. I lifted the windshield up enough to allow me to pull a bolt of out of the boat directly straight down beneath the windshield. This bolt appears that it was connected to the windshield frame underneath the windshield, and went strait down with a nut holding it tight on the underside of the "dashboard". I pulled this bolt straight up out of the boat , so the nut is gone. (Maybe a washer too). Seems like there should be more of these bolts and nuts to hold the windshield down tight. The head of the bolt is a special shape too, so it looks like it will slide into a channel on the underside of the windshield. Does anyone know what I am talking about here? Am I correct in assuming that there should be more than just one bolt? Does the bolt slide into a channel of sorts beneath the windshield? Where can I get these bolts?

Thanks! IGGY

Bondo

Staff member
Does anyone know what I am talking about here? Am I correct in assuming that there should be more than just one bolt? Does the bolt slide into a channel of sorts beneath the windshield? Where can I get these bolts?

Ayuh,..... There should be a bolt every 6" to 10",.....

Back when I refit the windshield on my ole tinbarge, I took ssteel machine screws(#10s, or #12s I believe), 'n ground the phillips heads down to "T"s, 'n used them,.....

'n 'bout every boat windshield I've run across since is pretty much the same,.....

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea if you can't find them maybe you can modify some standard bolts from the hardware store. Use as many as you think is necessary to hold on your windshield.