kicker bracket?

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do you go by motor weight or hp. when buying a bracket?Find a bracket which is rated for wt. but says not for 4 stroke.What is the difference?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
4-strokes area about 2X the weight of 2-strokes

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
97 honda 9.9 hp electric start weighs around 110 lbs. Bracket advertised for 20 hp or 120 lbs but not for 4 stroke. Doesn't compute.?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Contact the manufacturer and then copy their response and file it in your attorney's files.

It's legal speak. It should read: "20 HP OR 120 pounds". But if they said that you can be sure somebody would put on a 20 HP 150 pound 4-stroke and then break the bracket.

I had the same issue. I had a 50# 4-stroke that I wanted to put on a bracket with a 75# limit. n It also said not for 4-strokes. An email to the manufacturer and they said it was OK.

Just like everything else on the internet.....authority to go ahead or not from forum posters has no validity at all. The manufacturer has the final say and in most cases they are perfectly happy to reply to you.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do 4 stroke motors have bigger mounting brackets than 2 strokes? Looks like that may be the difference in some of the brackets for sale.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have 69 outboards in my collection. Of the under 10 HP models, all the brackets are virtually the same. I only have 2 small 4-strokes (largest is 5 HP) and it is the same as my 9.9 2-stroke.

I guess you could go to a dealer and measure a 5 vs. a 9.9, to see if one is wider. Or just call the manufacturer.

PS - just my opinion but Panther makes the best bracket. I won't name their competitor, but if it costs half as much as a panther you might not be happy with it.

sidingguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys ,I found a Panther bracket on ....... for 85.00.It' s good for 35 hp or 265 lbs .That should support my 9.9 4 stroke Honda ! In the mail ,should be here next thursday.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Personally I go by how solid the mount is if it’s a retractable Mount. Of course with enough hp and weight rating but many retracting mounts flop around severely. I gave up built a complete swim deck made a bolt on bracket for the trolling motor so it can be removed but it hasn’t been removed in a decade.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Personally I go by how solid the mount is if it’s a retractable Mount. Of course with enough hp and weight rating but many retracting mounts flop around severely. I gave up built a complete swim deck made a bolt on bracket for the trolling motor so it can be removed but it hasn’t been removed in a decade.

I had retractable mounts for years and threw them all away. Of course, back then they were basically all rated for 10 or 15 HP.

Then I bought an OMC bracket equipped with a gas cylinder, not springs. Boy what a better mousetrap! No bouncing around with that one. Of course it cost double what the others did. It was so good when I heard OMC went out of business I found a NOS one and bought it just in case.

We sold the boat last year, after having the mount on it for 35 years - in the water and on the highway as well. Never took the motor off.

Unfortunately, the new boat has a swim deck and the old OMC bracket doesn't work. I guess I'll just keep the NIB OMC just for posterity.