Would I know if I had a bilge pump?

m100psi

Cadet
Hi all,

I have a 1989 Sunbird Corsica 185. I'm on the waiting list at the local lake for a slip which would make the weekend boating process much simpler. It occurred to me that a ton of water drains out whenever I get the boat out of the water and pull the plug. Does that mean boats that sit in the water regularly eventually fill and sink unless they have bilge pumps? How do I determine if I have one, and if so, test it? Seems like the pump would also run through the battery pretty quickly if it had to run often.

Thanks,
Matt

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
99% of the time there is a dash switch .......... the "auto-bilge pumps" normally are also switched on the dash.

Visually inspect the bottom of the stern inside to see if you see one..........

Visually inspect the outside of the hull for a drain hole normally near the stern and above the waterline......

If you do not have one they are easy to purchase and install to include wiring and drain hose.

I have two batteries in my boat and I always have one turned off (with a dual battery switch) while mine is in the slip.

Running the battery down is cheaper then sinking........

Most pumps use a float switch and turn off automatically

Happy New Year!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you dont have a working bilge pump, do not slip until you do.

ahicks

Captain
"if you don't have a working AUTOMATIC bilge pump, do not slip until you do."

I'd be interested in where all the water is coming from too.....

southkogs

Staff member
^^^^ Yup - a day on the lake with people getting in and out from skiing and tubing and such, and you still shouldn't drain too much water. You may wanna' confirm you don't have a leak before you park it in a slip.

:welcome:

briangcc

Commander
You guys are forgetting environmental - ie. RAIN. Even with a cover, water gets in during a rain storm. Depending on how heavy that rain is and how long it lasts, it could put a substantial amount in the boat.

I had this happen to me over a vacation. Wicked rain storm kicked up and I started noticing the boat sitting lower in the water even though it was covered AND the cover had been waterproofed. Ended up pulling the boat during the rain storm as some wonderful woodland creature filled my bilge output with straw/hay/whatnot and clogged it. When I finally pulled the plug it drained for a good solid 3 minutes.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
being a 1989 sunbird, with 95% certainty, I guarantee the transom is rotten

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hi all,

I'm on the waiting list at the local lake for a slip which would make the weekend boating process much simpler.

A covered and garaged boat will last 10 times longer than a slipped boat. Maintenance costs on a slipped boat will be 10 times more than a garaged boat.

Personally, the time and effort to back up the car, hitch on the boat and launch and retrieve is 10 times easier than putting a boat cover on in the slip, plus taking all the gear in and out, storing it at home, etc. Not to mention the lack of worrying every time it rains or gets windy, wondering if the cover will hold or if the battery will go dead, or if some critter will plug up the bilge pump line.

We've been trailer boaters for 51 years now and have perfected the equipment and process. Prior to that, every time the weather got iffy we had to drive down to the slip and see if the boat was still floating.

Just my opinion. I only do what is hassle free for me.

m100psi

Cadet
Thanks all for the feedback, sounds like I have some work to do. I'm pretty sure from the input here that there is no bilge pump currently. Aside from visual inspection, is there any special method for detecting leaks other than noticing how much water is drained out?

If garaging it at home were an option, that would certainly be my first choice. The current situation is outdoor storage, the opposite the direction from the lake, in a space between two closed trailers with tiny margin on both sides. So if the slip option doesn't work out, I think it will be time for a new hobby.

Thanks,
Matt

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do you leave the plug out while on the trailer and is the boat covered between uses?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks all for the feedback, sounds like I have some work to do. I'm pretty sure from the input here that there is no bilge pump currently. Aside from visual inspection, is there any special method for detecting leaks other than noticing how much water is drained out?

your boat should have a bilge pump, just look. the discharge is a 1-1/8" thru-hull fitting above the water line.

as for checking for a leak - take your boat and trailer to a scale.

your 1989 Corsica 185 weighs 1905# empty of fuel
your trailer is #1000 if its a single axle trailer or #1250 if a tandem axle trailer.
your fuel tank is about 30 gallons, that is 190#

if your total boat, trailer and fuel weighs more than 3400#, your hull flotation foam is full of water.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
I would say there aren't too many boats that do not have a bilge pump, I would also guess yours isn't working if you are draining a lot of water after a day out.

Issue 1 is finding and fixing the leak, issue 2 is replacing the pump.

There should be an aft access cover, pull it and look in the hole, bilge pump will be bear the center at the very back.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with others...find where the water is coming in first and check your bilge pump. Do this before even thinking about slipping your boat.
Your existing pump could be clogged or jammed up with debris. Most or maybe all of them twist off for maintenance. Or it could be dead. A fuse could be blown or a switch could be turned off.
Bilge pumps are inexpensive for what they do, so even if you need a new one it's no big deal.
The trailering v slipping is a relative debate. I prefer trailering only because I'm retired and I can go boating during the week. It's too aggravating for me dealing with the weekenders at the ramp. Plus my boat is safe at home and I can do any maintenance or repairs easily in my driveway.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
You need to concentrate on where the water is entering your boat. There should be zero water in your bilge unless it rains. And little from people swimming etc...