Water in Fuel Tank

Dawg4ever

Recruit
So I have a 1999 Proline 190 CC. Installed a water seperator after some issues. Drained the tank and refilled. Still water in the system on my next trip out. Bilge is dry so I am not sure where the water is coming from. Any tips??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My leak was at the fuel fills.

I have vented fuel caps. Boat was parked in such a way that the recess around the fuel caps filled with rain water flooding the vents in the process.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When you drained the tank, did you remove the gas gauge sender and get all of the fuel out? That is the best way, as you can usually see the bottom of the tank.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
When I got my CC, it had a poorly-sealing deck access hatch over the sender / connectors of the under deck tank, and the sender had a bad seal, and that’s how water was getting into my fuel.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
The fuel sender does not normally allow anything into the tank, if it did gas would also leak out

Dawg4ever

Recruit
thumbnail_20181223_151543_HDR.jpg ajgraz.....i believe you may be spot on. After torrential rains, i inspected the tank. Here is what I found...access panel had no o-ring gasket...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
ajgraz.....i believe you may be spot on. After torrential rains, i inspected the tank. Here is what I found...access panel had no o-ring gasket...

I see the o-ring in the pic, but the rest below don't look to good either.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ajgraz.....i believe you may be spot on. After torrential rains, i inspected the tank. Here is what I found...access panel had no o-ring gasket...

The port may have a bad gasket, but that isn't how water is getting into the tank.

Do you smell gas when sniffing close to the port? Might have to lay on your belly and put your schnozz in the opening.

You shouldn't smell gas and if you do, look at the hoses and sender gasket. No gas stink, look at the vent as a path for water.